Activity Stream "Pages"

Jan McL

Just getting to know the new layout and begin to experiment with activity stream.

There is an option to "load more" at the bottom of the stream, but once more topics are loaded it's my wish that the additional posts remain when I return by backing up from reading a post to the previous activity stream page. As it stands now, the newly-loaded content disappears and one has to re-load to continue browsing topics.

I will look into this behavior but I'm sure it is intimately tied into browser caching and the cookies that keep track of what you're doing while navigating the site. I have only had to use the "Load more" routine a few times because I have to be reading everything throughout the day so most all of the new stuff fits on one page. Usually when I click on "Load more" it says there isn't any more so I just carry on with what I have been reading. There may be a setting which dictates how MANY posts load into your own custom Activity Stream. 

I don't know how other people have their mouses configured but I find the easy way to view multiple posts and also to avoid the issue Jan mentions, which could be annoying, is to set the middle mouse button to open links in a new browser tab.  With that feature, you can look at a long list of posts and middle-click-middle-click-middle-click all the ones you like.  That'll open up a series of tabs with all the stuff you want to read.  Start reading the first one and when done, close it and the next item appears.  So much easier than hitting the back button over and over and each time trying to remember where you were in the list of posts.

By referring to the "middle button" I actually mean what on most mouses is the scroll wheel, which you can usually push down to emulate the press of a middle button.  I use this not just on JW but on lots of sites.  Like when scanning down the Huff Post home page... I just middle click each item that looks interesting and then close the home page and read all the tabs without messing with the back-and-forth nonsense of the back button.

4 hours ago, Laurence said:

By referring to the "middle button" I actually mean what on most mouses is the scroll wheel, which you can usually push down to emulate the press of a middle button.  I use this not just on JW but on lots of sites.  Like when scanning down the Huff Post home page... I just middle click each item that looks interesting and then close the home page and read all the tabs without messing with the back-and-forth nonsense of the back button.

All I was saying is Mac users do the same things though we don't have a "middle button" or even a scroll wheel with the Magic Mouse. We do have, however, a very full-featured configuration for what the various button "areas" and gestures do on the mouse. For me, Command - clicking works to accomplish exactly what Laurence does, opening each of the things I want to read in their own tab (page).