Vinyl Credit

Joshua Anderson

About 2 years ago, after we finished our run on the musical TV show, "Smash", my team and I worked on a small musical film called "The Last 5 Years." We shot in NYC for about 4 weeks. It was an adaptation of the Broadway musical of the same name and the goal from the Producers and Director was to record the vocals live as much as possible. They pre-recorded all of the songs just in case, but in the end, I believe there was only 1 song that was predetermined to be a "playback" song. Shooting of the film went great, and it was a fun experience. However, it was a small movie and even though it starred Anna Kendrick and was directed by the screenwriter of "The Fisher King," it sort of came and went in the theaters this year. 

Recently, I found that not only did the film release a soundtrack, but they also released it on vinyl. So I picked up a copy. To my surprise, there was a little note on the inside of the jacket: "The majority of the vocals from the film and this album were recorded live, on set in various locations throughout New York City.” The Record Producer even told me that everytime he tried to put pre-recorded vocals onto the album, the other producers requested the live versions from set for the record. It was a nice sentiment to hear. But what really amazed me was that the producers listed every sound person who worked on on the film. Everyday, we had a 4 person crew on set: Myself, Gregg Harris (Boom Op), Terence Maitland (Utility/2nd Boom) and Jason Stasium (Playback). But there were a few days that Terence and Jason couldn't do and the producers listed Allison Jackson, David Tirolo and Greg Sextro on the record jacket as well.

It was so cool to see the producers of this small film take up valuable credit space on the record to acknowledge every one of us. I'm super proud of the work we did on the film, and most of that quality depended on the other 6 people credited with me. My hat is off to Kurt, Lawrence, Richard, Steve, Lauren and Janet for going, what nowadays seems like an extra and impossible step, of acknowledging not just the sound department by proxy of the mixer but in entirety. 

Josh

L5Y_Inside_Cover.jpg

Thanks!

Didn't think about Discogs - another bonus. 

I made sure to send that same pic to all the production sound people credited on the back. Most weren't aware there was a soundtrack released. It was such a small movie, I'm not even sure it's on Netflix, maybe Amazon (Certainly no screeners of this one). But I'm thrilled the producers did that. After a few shows on a network show where the credits fly by so fast (and even on my current Netflix shows where they are still fast but at least list all of my crew), it was a really nice gesture from the producers. 

Anyways, I have a few vinyl records that I like to put on and adding one to the pile with my credit is something I look forward to playing for my son when he's old enough to read it. 

Josh

• 4 weeks later...