New Production Sound Cart concept

Matt Bacon AMPS

Introducing a new concept in Production Sound Carts for 2016. Thoughts, constructive comments and suggestions please (thanks again for all of those that contributed a few months ago when I posted my Bag Cart concept).

Dimensions: 1150mm x 718mm x 715mm
Storage: 8u Racking front (19") & Rear (10.5")
Weight: Under 14kg
Max Load: 40-50kg
Wheels: Front 6" & Rear 16"

Folded down the dimensions are 1150mm x 718mm x 395mm (including the rear wheel) or 995mm x 718mm x 340mm (without the rear wheel) so ideal for transporting in the boot of a standard hatchback or estate. I am considering a bespoke top handle made of CNC milled aluminium and anodised to match the wheel forks if people would be interested in that. It would add another $150-250 though so won't be including them on the standard model as I want to keep prices as accessible as possible. Further details will be released at www.facebook.com/soundcart in the coming weeks.

Your thoughts please...

12391990_538488012984230_856814272553286065_n.png

12360385_538488019650896_2767317332404790162_n.png

12348043_538488036317561_4866580704940359061_n.png

12342767_538488022984229_903980651547846838_n.png

Blue_Cart_2015-Dec-15_01-56-28PM-000_CustomizedView30620162.png

Blue_Cart_2015-Dec-15_02-37-09PM-000_CustomizedView30012702.png

Blue_Cart_2015-Dec-15_02-37-47PM-000_CustomizedView18932073.png

Blue_Cart_2015-Dec-15_01-54-43PM-000_CustomizedView18046677.png

6 minutes ago, soundtrane said:

Excellent idea for a very small footprint during transit. i am guessing you will be able to add more levels (trays) to this basic config. 

-vin

I guess you could do, but my idea was that you could sit an ABS case (of any height you like providing it remained within weight) on the top (ratchet strapped down). I am imagining you would sit side-on so you can easily access the rear of the ABS case for patching etc. The mixer is then not in the way of the front and rear racking space for when you tech assist of boom op needs to get to them.

Ah, an ABS case, Matt, I did not think of it really. I am thinking more in terms of very small and very light footprint carts. This design in terms of the folding up is VERY good for transit, and will be good while working as well. I guess the folding brackets can be with locks and of course, with gear on the shelf it is bound to stay in place. 

Just now, soundtrane said:

Ah, an ABS case, Matt, I did not think of it really. I am thinking more in terms of very small and very light footprint carts. This design in terms of the folding up is VERY good for transit, and will be good while working as well. I guess the folding brackets can be with locks and of course, with gear on the shelf it is bound to stay in place. 

To fold the cart, only two bolts need to be loosened. Lay the cart on its back (rear handles and 16" rear wheels) and fold the cart down. Once folded there will be means to secure it so it doesn't open again unexpectedly. If you are after a more light-weight bag cart I will be launching one of those first. Take a look at www.facebook.com/soundcart for photos and details of that.

17 minutes ago, soundtrane said:

I am not looking for a bag cart but a proper cart, albeit small and lightweight. my equipment sizes are small and my DC powering has shrunken in both weight and size (LiFe). Hence the need to rethink a cart for normal feature film usage. :)

I will look into the ability to add further shelves. these would need to be removed (unbolted) rather than folded I imagine... How many might you need?

Matt, think about doing a picture (image) of this new folding cart with a case sitting on the shelf, oriented the way you think it should work. It is true that people are looking for different things in a mini cart: some want a true mini cart loaded with all the gear to be used as a normal sit down cart, some want just a portable "bag cart" so they can put the bag on wheels and sit behind it, others could be very happy with a mini cart that consists of a really nicely designed BASE (like what you have presented here) but the gear is mostly housed in a portable SKB-type case that sits on the base when you get to work.

Just now, Jeff Wexler said:

Matt, think about doing a picture (image) of this new folding cart with a case sitting on the shelf, oriented the way you think it should work. It is true that people are looking for different things in a mini cart: some want a true mini cart loaded with all the gear to be used as a normal sit down cart, some want just a portable "bag cart" so they can put the bag on wheels and sit behind it, others could be very happy with a mini cart that consists of a really nicely designed BASE (like what you have presented here) but the gear is mostly housed in a portable SKB-type case that sits on the base when you get to work.

Will do. good thinking Jeff.

3 hours ago, Philip Perkins said:

Show us how you use this thing, with your gear, hooked up with all the wires etc.

Nice work.

Hi Philip,

I shall post up some further photos as you suggest showing how I imagined gear would be mounted and the cart used to make it clearer. 

Essentially I imagine an ABS placed side ways so the rack storage front and rear (below the two handles that stick out) are accessible at all times. These could contain IFB's or radiomics etc. But would prohibit the ability to fold the cart unless they were first removed. 

Inside the ABS case can be configured however you like but would include video monitors, recorder, receivers, speaker and mixer. 

I have worked this way using the prototype for over a year now. The kit is protected by the case and I use patch bays at the rear to ensure connectors survive the wear'n'tear of life on set.

I am not saying this is the best way but simply it works for me. I don't always have a van so this prompted me to seek ways to get my production cart to location in my estate car. Also the weight of current designs on the market prohibited my use of them so decided to design a light weight yet strong alternative. 

I hope others will ultimately enjoy the fruits of my time and R&D.

Below are photos of my current prototype which has performed extremely well but has a number of short comings which I believe I have resolved in the lastesr design. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I think you build some beautiful carts, Matt. I don't really need one atm, but would be interested in getting one anyway, which msy fit some jobs better.

Two things come to mind, though.

1) I don't like the drinks holder where it is now. When the cart is folded and in a car, things are likely to get put on top of it (such as the ABS case), and the holder will be a nuisance then. This is a small issue, though.

2) I would like to recommend concentrating on just one cart for now and actually start selling it, rather than designing more carts and kind of wasting time with that. On Facebook you announced a new website two months ago, but there is nothing there yet. Get up and running and start selling, then design further carts.

This is not meant as a derogatory comment, but rather as a comment from someone who is really excited about an ambitious cart-maker who is, finally, in Europe (as I think you are)

3 hours ago, Constantin said:

I think you build some beautiful carts, Matt. I don't really need one atm, but would be interested in getting one anyway, which msy fit some jobs better.

Two things come to mind, though.

1) I don't like the drinks holder where it is now. When the cart is folded and in a car, things are likely to get put on top of it (such as the ABS case), and the holder will be a nuisance then. This is a small issue, though.

2) I would like to recommend concentrating on just one cart for now and actually start selling it, rather than designing more carts and kind of wasting time with that. On Facebook you announced a new website two months ago, but there is nothing there yet. Get up and running and start selling, then design further carts.

This is not meant as a derogatory comment, but rather as a comment from someone who is really excited about an ambitious cart-maker who is, finally, in Europe (as I think you are)

Thank you for your constructive comments, they are taken in the spirit you intended. 

Having finished work for the festive period I am now concentrating on moving forward on my carts before I start back again in the New Year.

I wish to reassure you that while there have been periods of seemingly nothing happening work has been progressing steadily with demo units being road tested etc. The feedback from our test users have been continuously put back into the design of the carts. What has become clear is that no two mixers use/configure their cart in the same way.

The intention is to release the Bag Cart (Red) early in the New Year and based on its success release the Production Cart (Blue) soon after.

In reply to your two points, yes the cup holder can be easily repositioned, and I designed the Blue cart while waiting for parts for the Red cart to be manufactured and posted to me so I have been trying to maximise my time. But I am guilty of being easily distracted so I won't mention I have also sketched ideas of a compact follow cart as well;)

Finally yes I am based outside of London, U.K.

• 1 month later...

We are pleased to announce that Professional Sound Services (www.pro-sound.com) will be stocking all SOUNDCART.TV cart models. 

Store demo models will be arriving in a few weeks (as quickly as we can build them and send them over). 

Compact Bag Cart from $1275
Production Sound Cart from $1995

If you'd like further details, including pricing of the optional accessories available or you wish to beat the rush and place an order, please contact your local PSC branch!!