interview with Mark Ulano in the filmmakermagazine

Matthias Richter

I read this a few day ago. Mark is an articulate gentleman and a filmmaker who specializes in sound. Being a filmmaker is the key IMO. It's an attitude and POV that I think is lost on newer generation sound people. Not all of course, but too many. Filmmaking is a life long pursuit and gathering of knowledge and experience. And it's fun.

CrewC

17 minutes ago, old school said:

Filmmaking is a life long pursuit and gathering of knowledge and experience. And it's fun.

Ya, I liked that interview...especially Ulano's persistent effort to make the conversation not about the gear.

Crew's comment reminds me of this anecdote (from a 1958 article by music columnist Leonard Lyons):

Pablo Casals, who performed at the UN recently, is 81. He agreed to have Robert Snyder make a movie short, “A Day in the Life of Pablo Casals.” Snyder asked Casals, the world’s foremost cellist, why he continues to practice four and five hours a day. Casals answered: “Because I think I am making progress.”

Nice interview Matthias and Mark.    A lot of good information for prospective production sound personnel.  Mark has a lot of insight and knows what is important to recording a great track at the outset.  More importantly,  he details the intricacies of the personal interaction necessary to work on set in a collaborative way without creating enemies or putting sound in an adversarial position.

• 2 weeks later...

Mark is a great mixer, as a note to the article, Tarantino shoots his movies with one ( 1 ) camera . And with post production now, you can lift lines from various takes, off-camera dialogue boomed and wild-lines and throw them in an actors performance on screen and nobody can tell. Stick any mixer with half a brain and a decent boom operator on a single camera movie...the odds are you'll get a very low ADR percentage, rather than have 2 or 3 cameras shooting silly things we've all seen them do.

• 5 months later...