Extremely quiet dialogue

Rob Lewis

I was working on a scene last night on a Indy feature where the actress had a very very soft spoken line of dialogue.  I was using a 416 overhead no more than 2 feet.  I had to open the mic up far more than I wanted to just to get the meter barely moving, hearing a lot of system noise.  I guess my question is should I be opening up the mic that much to get more level on a quiet scene or leave it be low and have barely any level registering on the meter ?  Im new to the more dramatic and intricate dialogue of feature work.

Rob

Hopefully your gain structure is as optimum as it can be for the mixer you are using, if so then you should go for it and get good levels recorded.  If they have to, they can noise reduce your dialog in post, if you under record they will both have to raise the gain a lot and THEN noise reduce, with a lot less resolution. 

Philip Perkins

I like to have at least 2 ways to go.  On Robert Towne's "Personal Best"  I had a soft spoken actor with a shotgun a foot from his mouth.  Plenty of gain but I couldn't hear/understand him.  Not something I would have expected (10+ years in the business too)  So I faded up his wireless lavalier and ripped out a very lot of bass until it sounded like I expected the shotgun to sound.  They don't want to wait and have no idea or inclination to appreciate your problems.