Audio Department: Zaxcom Event - January 9th

Gene Martin

===UPDATE===
We're all set for January 9th, hope you can meet us there.

Special Guest:
Colleen Goodsir - Zaxcom
Jack Norflus - Zaxcom Guru
Pedro Rocha - DPA

Jan. 9th Only Promotions:
- Audio Dept pays Sales Tax on Zaxcom purchases
- Audio Dept $50 Zaxcom Discount Card (valid until 1/31/16)
- 10% off DPA

Free Food & Drinks:
- Tacos Hell Yeah and Rasta Rita Margaritas

On January 9th, 2016, we will be having an event to familiarize YOU with the Zaxcom Oasis. Come join us for some personalized hands on training. Tacos and Margaritas will be provided! If you want to be entered in the raffle and win some free stuff, please RSVP at the link below (must be present to win). Special event deals and promotions to be announced!

Please RSVP at: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/discovering-oasis-tickets-19941326043

12341601_1008162092560951_2423047786563472956_n.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

ZaxDay.jpg.542db01909b6e613a729e11306629

Thank you to Gene Martin and the Audio Department for the fabulous Zaxcom Open House Event on Saturday. Huge turnout provided the opportunity for direct hands on experience with Nomad Oasis and Touch. I was so pleased to see Colleen Goodsir and Jack Norflus there, having traveled from the East Coast, Jack demonstrating and explaining everything, all from his extensive real world experience (Jack has been lucky to have been working with Nomad Touch from the very beginning). Thomas Popp, longtime Zaxcom user and totally up to steam on Nomad Touch and Oasis, was helping quite a few people wrap their heads around these new offerings --- it's a lot to digest! Thomas also took the opportunity to show off his latest project, Video Mantis, which I am sure will become the ultimate best resource and online community for all of us. For those who were not able to attend, Video Mantis already has up videos and tutorials, online manuals and a wealth of information on Nomad Touch and Oasis.

You really have to experience first hand how terrific it is to be able to use the beautiful and intuitive user interface on the screen — it opens up to Nomad users so much of the ease of use we've had with the Deva all these years. It can be a little overwhelming the variety of choices available for the user interface: what computer to use, a tablet or a laptop, what screen is best for the sorts of jobs we're doing — it was great to meet Michael Sujek who has explored all of these possibilities on his own and discovered the amazing Kangaroo mini-PC ($99.) that comes with OSLinx, free software that lets you use your iPad for the screen. The Oasis mixing panel has silky-smooth faders (hard to realize that they are motorized and there are fader banks), all the important controls on the panel, having the look of a minimalist approach but packs all the necessary hardware knobs and switches.

I have been assured by Glenn Sanders that there will be GUI for Nomad Oasis that runs on MacOSX — this will open up even more possibilities to use our Mac laptops for Nomad Oasis in the future (and not have to deal with Windows at all). This makes me very happy!

Also at the event, Pedro Rocha from DPA was showing their line of microphones including the just released Slim. I said to Pedro, as I have said many times before, the combination of the DPA 4063 lav and Zaxcom Digital transmitters unquestionably produces in my experience the best sound and dialog recording possible. Pedro also assured me that DPA will have a low voltage model of the Slim with no compromise in dynamic range or noise floor when used with Zaxcom transmitters.