Japanese TV sound in the 90's

thope

Hi all,

I'm in pre production on a show that requires me to mock up ( as realistically as possible ) a Japanese talk show filmed in the early 90's, as well as a Japanese action show filmed around the same time. Do we have anyone here who can inform me on how these shows where recorded? Where lav mics used on talent during talk shows or was it all done on a boom? If lav Mics where used, where they visible? I'm assuming that lavs where not in wide spread use on shows like Monkey Magic and that was all done on the boom. Any help appreciated!

Trev

Japanese talk, talent, and variety shows mainly use above-clothing lavalier mics, or wireless hand mics, depending on production or preference. Place the mic wherever works best, they didn't mind about aesthetics. Sometimes it's a combination of podium and wireless mics. Receiver antennae are remotely placed around the stage. 

Signals are routed through an auto-mixer (Dugan etc) and compressor/limiter chain. 

Overhead mics are usually used for producer, behind-camera crew, and audience reactions. Behind-camera crew reactions (laughter, shock, etc) are actually a big part of the mix. 

i.e. If you hear mostly men laughing, that's the crew. If you hear mostly women, that's the audience. 

~

In that era, scripted drama shows were either boom only, or dubbed later.  Wireless mics were mostly for TV and broadcasting. 

+1 to Matt's description. source: also watched a lot of Japanese TV in the 90s.

Lav mics were always visible outside clothing, even today.   Headsets for the principal talent if they're just sitting off to the side "narating" the action.

Multiple cameras scurrying around the action, one or two crew behind them making sure the cables don't get pulled or caught up on the set.