RIP - Haskell Wexler

Jeff Wexler

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jeff, I'm sending my sincerest condolences to you and the family and wishing all of you the best, knowing that the loss is only somewhat offset by the immense pride you all feel as people in the industry are seriously reflecting upon his accomplishments as cinematographer and filmmaker. Well done, Mr. Haskell Wexler.

Hi Jeff,

Josh Barone here; I'm a reporter with The New York Times. I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. We have an obituary for your father ready, but we need to confirm his death with you first. Would you be able to do that? I can be reached at joshua.barone@nytimes.com.

Thank you in advance, and again, my condolences.

Josh

Love and deep thoughts to you and your family, Jeff.  Your dad was a giant in our world and will be sorely missed.  He was proof that you could be a great DP in service to great films and great directors and not do that work on the broken lives of the crews who supported him.  At a time in his life when he could have just attended tributes and given master classes he spoke truth to power, over and over again about the real lives of working movie crew people.  Bless him, RIP.

Please accept my heartfelt condolences Jeff for you and the family. I well know what Haskell meant to you and your deep love and affection for him. Thank you Jeff for sharing him with the rest of the world as he has more admirers, friends, and team mates than anyone I ever knew. He was one of my personal heros, not only for his artistry, but his devotion to the humanities and the less fortunate. He left us all with a great high water mark to shoot for. Like many, he made my life better knowing and working with him and the lasting impression he made. The great Ray Bradbury wrote this in Fahrenheit 451

“Everyone must leave something behind when he dies, my grandfather said. A child or a book or a painting or a house or a wall built or a pair of shoes made. Or a garden planted. Something your hand touched some way so your soul has somewhere to go when you die, and when people look at that tree or that flower you planted, you're there. 

It doesn't matter what you do, he said, so long as you change something from the way it was before you touched it into something that's like you after you take your hands away. The difference between the man who just cuts lawns and a real gardener is in the touching, he said. The lawn-cutter might just as well not have been there at all; the gardener will be there a lifetime.” 

That was Haskell. 

CrewC

8 hours ago, Jeff Wexler said:

HaskellWexler.2.jpg.0371fff00269cc2e1130

February 6, 1922 - December 27, 2015

It is with great sadness that I have to report that my father, Haskell Wexler, has died. Pop died peacefully in his sleep, Sunday, December 27th, 2015.  Accepting the Academy Award in 1967, Pop said: "I hope we can use our art for peace and for love". An amazing life has ended but his lifelong commitment to fight the good fight, for peace, for all humanity, will carry on. 

So sorry to hear of your loss, Jeff.

I had the pleasure of working with your Dad many years ago on a commercial.

I arrived on set and the AD asked where my boom swinger was and I replied the producer assured me I would only be recording FX.

He handed me a script with wall to wall dialogue.

I phoned my boom, in the meantime, I had to deal with a long tracking shot of about 40 feet through a passageway of pipes in an abandoned power plant with two athletes jabbering away.

Your Dad, seeing my plight, told me to hop on the Fisher and ride along with him.  (Nagra 4.2 days)

The next day at dailies, he told me my sound was good.

A proud moment for me!

Traut