"Ocean Gravity"

new mexico

Ocean Gravity: Spectacular Footage of Freediver Guillaume Nery -
Flying through Swift Ocean Currents North of Tahiti

by Christopher Jobson on February 1, 2015

Quote:

"Filmed late last year by director and underwater cameraman Julie Gautier -

this amazing footage shows free diver Guillaume Néry as he’s carried by swift currents through Tiputa pass -

part of the Rangiroa atoll about 355 km Northeast of Tahiti.

When you hear about strong currents near the ocean or large lakes -

it’s difficult to visualize exactly how they work, or the power they carry.

This film should quickly put those mysteries to rest.

The speeds Néry reaches in this video seem almost impossible without the help of equipment or flippers."

You can see some behind-the-scenes footage and read a bit more (in French) on their website:

http://www.lesfilmsengloutis.com/films/oceans-gravity/

(FYI - use your 'scroll' function to navigate downwards, from anywhere on the page.

The pages are tiles, that slip over a background photo.

The 'making of' Vimeo is at the end or, the last tile.)

from: http://www.thisiscolossal.com/2015/02/ocean-gravity-current-diving/

diving-1.jpg

diving-2.jpg

More "Les Films Engloutis" on Vimeo: https://vimeo.com/user28010126/videos/sort:date

Alternate 3rd party version - (Sequences edited. Different soundtrack. In black and white.) https://vimeo.com/118564977

Freediver David Helder Possesses the Uncanny Ability to Blow Perfect Bubble Vortexes Underwater

Quote:

French freediver David Helder has been diving for over 35 years -

and somewhere along the way he discovered a strange ability.

Like a dolphin, Helder can blow perfectly controlled bubble rings underwater.

While many divers have playfully experimented with blowing these whirling vortexes-

Helder has dedicated significant time to perfecting the technique -

which he uses to perform dozens of different tricks.

bubble-3.gif

bubble-1.gif

bubble-2.gif

Quote:

"" David Helder can do something absolutely amazing. The funny thing is, he didn’t think it was anything special -

until a freediving veteran saw him doing it and was dumbfounded not only by the feat itself-

but by the way David seemed to do it so effortlessly.

So what’s Helder's special ability?

He can create mini vortexes that shoot through the water to create intricate patterns in just about any direction.

That may not sound like much, but anyone who has tried freediving -

or even just been messing around in the water knows that -

it’s no easy task to control water the way he can.

<snip>

We sat down with the 40 year old Frenchman to find out a bit more about his story -

and found a passionate freediver who believes that it’s more than just a sport -

but rather, “something spiritual” that provides him with an escape from the stress of daily life  -

where he feels that we are normally forced to show an altered version of ourselves.

For him, being below the surface gives him a chance to be true to himself -

without having to put on any acts or trying to convince anyone that he is anything other than David.

“You can knock at my door,” says Helder , “and I will not answer because I’m not there.”

More than anything, it’s the meditative qualities of freediving -

and the chance to be “someone else” that have this 35 year freediving veteran so excited about the next dive.

It was his father, a freediver in his own right, that got young David started around age 4.

It hasn’t all been easy though.

His worst failure came around age 12 when, “I had a blackout when doing dynamic inside a pool.

I [was] rescued by a friend who was acting as a buddy.

At that time, I was trying to find a different path than the one taught by my dad -

and my breath up was a mix of hyperventilating followed by a slow belly breathing.

That technique led me to the blackout.

I then decided that performing a slow belly breathing prior to a dive was definitely the only right way to freedive safely!”

When asked about his biggest success, Helder responds with a smile and says,

“Staying enough time underwater to make some friends: Clown fish and groupers are very friendly!!”

David’s advice to anyone thinking about freediving or trying to improve their skills is to dive without a watch.

In his opinion, that frees up your mind to relax and focus on the sensations around you.

While he doesn’t have any inspirational quotes to share, Helder leaves us with his own parting words of wisdom -

that make his passion about freediving abundantly clear:

“…if I am freediving it‘s to find peace beyond thoughts and words. Freediving is taking a retreat.”  ""