Sony UWP-D

chrisyking

I have one the older units and having to keep around a Standard 3.5mm Lav to Sony UWP lav adapter has been annoying to say the least. Sony UWP lavs have the R on the TRS connector as the hot, and the stock lav that sony ships with the units is massive. This makes buying a 3rd party lav required but limits being able to buy standard 3.5mm lavs that normally would be marketed toward the RodeLink & Senn G3 market.

The other problem I've had with my UWP is you really notice the range issues. The new model has the same transmission power as the G3, 30mw. But the 5mw (10mw in my case) mode is only good for close spaces like host direct to camera work. At 10mw on the older model the talent can only be 20ft away at most.

Lastly, and again this speaks to the older UWP model, the resale market on Sony wireless systems is garbage. The new UWP-D system retails for the same price as the G3s but sell used for pennies. The G3s hold their value better so if your friend ever wants to upgrade he won't be out his full investment.

• 6 months later...
On 1/10/2016 at 5:32 AM, Drew3296 said:

Standard 3.5mm Lav to Sony UWP lav adapter

Where do you get this from?

As I'd like to buy a higher quality and lower profile lav for my  Sony UWP kits, but very uncertain about compatibility. As it seems most 3.5mm locking connections would only work with Sennheisers / RodeLinks and not  Sony UWP systems?

I used to supplement my audio 2020s with the earlier UWP units (I still use them for monitors because they have an HP o/p and level control). I chose them over the G3s at the time because I found their diversity system to hold a more reliable connection with the TX than the G3s. On the other hand, to me they sound a little flatter and more compressed (cos-11 caps used on both systems). I don't know about the latest version, but the original UWP didn't o/p line level. I subsequently moved onto lectro 411as and then Senny G2000s (and hopefully about to try out the new EK6042 with some SK9000s :-).

I thought the UWPs was quite good value and as such their low resale value was not a problem for me. IIRC, despite the new UWP system having an intergrated DSP the latency is very low and both the TX and RX can be powered through a usb port. I quite like the look of the dual receiver especially as it can take a 3rd i/p from a 'top mic' which makes it very versatile for camera ops. 

On 7/14/2016 at 0:18 AM, daniel said:

IIRC, despite the new UWP system having an intergrated DSP the latency is very low and both the TX and RX can be powered through a usb port.

Yeah, the USB powering is another reason I like them! Should be handy once I've got a few set up all at once in my bag.