Cell phone patch for on camera interview

Jeff Hall

Hello all:

I'm going to be mixing an interview with 1 talent on camera and an interviewer calling in on a cell phone. Getting the caller's voice to talent via IFB will be easy. What I'm unsure about is how to get the talent's voice back to the interviewer. This won't be live, and I want to keep feedback and delays under control. I'll be using a 664 and Comteks. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Look at Sescom for adaptor cables. 

I have one from them that is an iPhone in and out cable.

For example.

http://www.sescom.com/product.asp?item=IPHONE-MIC-1RA

Using this, you could set up a conference/group call including your phone (conference call may not be necessary in this particular scenario of yours) then you can receive the caller's line plus send the talents audio all through your phone. This gives you control of levels. 

You can record the talents mic clean onto a track, then record the talents phone line audio along with the callers audio onto another track. All ISO, let post deal with any delays. 

Hope this helps. 

Edited by Peter Mega

9 hours ago, Jeff Hall said:

Hello all:

I'm going to be mixing an interview with 1 talent on camera and an interviewer calling in on a cell phone. Getting the caller's voice to talent via IFB will be easy. What I'm unsure about is how to get the talent's voice back to the interviewer. This won't be live, and I want to keep feedback and delays under control. I'll be using a 664 and Comteks. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Jeff Hall,

while typically most productions are fine with just running a speakerphone -

This unit has worked for me - Many times with compliments from the other end - Saying, that  - "It was one of the best-sounding double-ender feeds [that they've heard] in the control room."

If it's not a 'live shot' being fed through a truck - Then, typically - I run a separate feed from my bag to an outboard rig - consisting of:  This unit, the cell phone, an SD 302 - feeding an IFB TX.  I use the mixer to have better control over the levels, on both sides. I can also solo a mic for them, talk to them through my slate mic, etc. Most of the people, on the other end, receiving my feed, were appreciative, that - I could 'dial' things up. Or, down. (Which, IMHO, is not quite as easy to do when it's just on a 'speakerphone.' YMMV)

I also suggest using one of the IFB RX (to get the host's questions) to dump a feed onto one of your recorded tracks - labeled as such. It's simply a scratch reference for the editors.

If camera op(s,) producer(s,) et al, are not already on their own PL? - Then, I also usually offer to give anyone (who feels a need to wear one,) on our location, an IFB RX, too - So that - they are also in the loop.

A note on why there are 3 cables in the photo? - Only one is actually needed during use. The others are back-up. The cable that comes from JK Audio is the only cable that is recommended for use with this unit. And, for the small added cost of any back-up cable, it's simply cheap insurance.

http://www.jkaudio.com/daptor2.htm

http://www.jkaudio.com/downloads/datasheets/JK_AUDIO_Daptor_Two_Datasheet.pdf

Note: The Users Guide PDF, in the link below, is slightly out of date - mentioning that - It comes with a "2.5 mm" connector - When nowadays, it's typically the "3.5mm" that is needed?

After confirming with them personally - Mine did come from the factory with a 3.5mm cable.

And, I ordered a spare 3.5mm. (As well as the 2.5mm - Which has been used, believe it or not. Ha!)

http://www.jkaudio.com/downloads/user-guides/JK_AUDIO_Daptor_Two_User_Guide.pdf

Most of our usual suspects carry JK Audio - and should (typically?) have this unit, and cables.

IMG_20160123_023710.thumb.jpg.d1d0610831

• 2 weeks later...

compack is handy if you're using land lines and need to dial … if you're only ever going to use a cell phone then daptors are the way to go, they're more portable for the travel kit… jk audio, microtel, gentner, and telos all make a variety of products for this type of phone interfacing for mix minus configurations

Good advice so far. Me, I have various JK Audio doodads, but we end up using a speakerphone/conference phone (or speakerphone setting on a smartphone) most of the time. This video, while focused on radio technique, has some "good" advice about recording tape sync. Four minutes...and take it with a giant grain of salt.