sound devices 664 monitoring issue

Hotfoot

Myself and another mixer who has a 664 have both been experiencing the same sort of issue where (for example) i would select LRSTEREO on the headphone selector, but only hear LRMONO. Attempts to change the headphone matrix output will result in no output. While in this faulty mode, other functions such as keypress beep and slatemic monitoring become erratic. 

It took several reboots for me yesterday to clear this issue, and my other mixer friend seems to suffering more so, and indeed couldn't clear it at all yesterday.

This problem only seems to affect the headphone output. The meters appear fine and the files are unaffected.

If this issue has been discussed on here can someone please point me to it? I tried a few searches but came up with nothing.

Cheers Guys

The best answer to this would be: call Sound Devices on Monday.

Other than that, someone here might be able to advise you, but only if you provide some details about your settings, firmware version - and of course, you are definitely only using cards from the approved media list, right?

FWIW - I have used my 664 for almost 3 years and have never experienced any of the symptoms you describe.

What exactly do you mean by "keypress beep and slatemic monitoring become erratic "?

If taking your return from a video camera, check the audio settings on the camera. Many cameras have a mono headphone output menu setting and on several I've run across, that's the default setting.

Also be sure you're on the latest firmware and maybe after saving a copy of your setup file and sending it to support@sounddevices.com with a detailed description of your problem, try reloading the firmware.

Best regards,

Snowed -in Jim

18 hours ago, Johnny Karlsson said:

The best answer to this would be: call Sound Devices on Monday.

Other than that, someone here might be able to advise you, but only if you provide some details about your settings, firmware version - and of course, you are definitely only using cards from the approved media list, right?

FWIW - I have used my 664 for almost 3 years and have never experienced any of the symptoms you describe.

What exactly do you mean by "keypress beep and slatemic monitoring become erratic "?

Using Current Version 2.03, recording polywavs at 48khz 24-bit. Left and Right mixes and 2 or 3 ISOs. Not feeding any external equipment other than a transmitter to video assist. Not monitoring a return from anywhere. Running TOD TC at 25fps .

By 'keypress beep erratic' I mean the beep one normally hears when hitting record or stop is absent, and the slate mic isn't heard over the 664 headphone out, when this faulty mode arises.

The other guy experiencing the same issues couldn't clear it the other day, until he'd powered down for an hour over lunch, at which point the 664 began behaving normally.

17 hours ago, Jim Gilchrist said:

If taking your return from a video camera, check the audio settings on the camera. Many cameras have a mono headphone output menu setting and on several I've run across, that's the default setting.

Also be sure you're on the latest firmware and maybe after saving a copy of your setup file and sending it to support@sounddevices.com with a detailed description of your problem, try reloading the firmware.

Best regards,

Snowed -in Jim

No return involved, Jim. Syncing to TC on an Alexa. Will folllow your suggestion about sending them the setup file.

Cheers,

John

• 9 months later...

I had this same problem today. The headphone monitoring on the standard HP settings was fine, but when I chose to listen to a custom HP setting, there was no sound in the headphones. Also, the record start and stop beeps were absent. And for me, as written in this forum, the problem seems to have gone away only after powering down for a good hour or more.