JWS Search Engine Module Query

Rachel Cameron

Hi Jeff,

I'm not sure if this happens with others here:

At JWS, I need to search out anything "BDS". I put in the characters BDS into the JWS General Forum search engine. I get zero results.

JWSsearchIssue1.thumb.jpg.e2901c74d0b4b5

I then enter the characters "Battery Distribution System" in the same search engine window at the General Forum, and up comes results that defy the result of my original search. I accidentally find that the third post in the search results have the characters BDS in it. 

JWSsearchIssue2.thumb.jpg.a18664a0ded323

Seems to me that third result ~ the one with OP's characters "BDS" (being parseable text in a topic title heading), should turn up in my first search (the "BDS" search). The '+more search options' does the same thing. 

My question is: Does the search engine module...not recognize seemingly randomly capitalized characters, or acronyms? I noticed my search term "Battery Distribution System" does not come up with capital letters in OP's post, because it's not entered with capitals.

Even when OP skips a space, the search module still finds my search terms: Battery Distribution System, regardless of the missing space, but never recognized my capital letters. 

Stranger is, OP enters the meta tag 'bds' in lower case. So in another test, I search with the lower case characters: "bds". I still gets zero results. 

What does this? It seems to be around the issue of capital characters, and/or meta tags.

I would have searched this issue first, but that began to represent a textbook catch-22.

Thanks very much, for all you do.   : )

Rachel

Rachel, welcome the wonderful world of SEARCH on JWSOUND --- bottom line, it doesn't work very well, often exhibits strange behavior, etc. IPB has made changes to Search with almost every upgrade but it does not seem to ever get much better. The initial problem you describe, making a 3 character search, has never worked well. "BDS" means nothing to the site's search engine. Quite sometime ago, Senator suggested (many times) that a Google search with jwsoundgroup in the string will yield amazing results. I'm going to try a Google search with jwsoundgroup and BDS in the string and see what happens. Additionally, there is a plugin for the site that makes the Search box utilize Google. I will look into that again and see if it really works or not.

Rachel, you can be the first to try the newly installed Google Site Search. In the Search box put in BDS and hit return. You will get a whole list of every instance of BDS on JWSOUND. It works really well, I have it as a service I have paid for so there shouldn't be any ads. The only problem I see with it now is that clicking on any of the links the posts open on their own page (not within the site) but that may be a function of browser settings.

On 1/25/2016 at 4:47 PM, Jeff Wexler said:

The only problem I see with it now is that clicking on any of the links the posts open on their own page (not within the site) but that may be a function of browser settings.

Yes, that's just a browser setting. Clicking on any of the links opens the post a new tab here, and that's how I have it set. Very grateful.