Audio Ltd. 1010

Ty Ford

44 minutes ago, Jamie Tongue said:

You can also use them in a bag with the adaptor case things, though they are priced outrageously and very large. I would be interested to investigate if it is possible to build a custom breakout cable from the 15 pin DSub to XLRs and a hirose. Would allow use in a bag with less size, weight and cost.

Like wise re the dsub, 1 of the rental houses said they could make me something like this. I had a demo unit of the DWX from cvp and was very impressed - the only reason I didn't go for it was in the end was I only needed 2 channels and wanted 2 separate receivers (which is a problem for a system that only has dual receivers) - if I had needed 4 channels I think I would have bought them. I remember seeing a prototype box (by VMI perhaps) that would take 2 of the RX units (4 channels) and looked a good way to go for a bag based op wanting to run this system. I imagine there will be a trickle down of the DWX system in the used market from camera ops and rental houses for which the portable system seems to be marketed. The Sennheiser ek 6042 looks like it could be a smart way to go for ops transitioning from analogue to digital and slot in as well. It wont have TX recording though, only 2 of those available in the UK market (and just 1 in USA). 

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 hours ago, Jim Gilchrist said:

It will be soon I expect. Unless a US-based manufacturer decides to block the release. 

Regarding manuals, I've used Audio, Ltd. rf equipment since 1987 and it's pretty hard to imagine anything being more intuitive.

Best regards,

Jim

I was going by the "brochure",  which stated no recording function in the u.s. for the time being:

http://www.audioltd.com/1010digital/tx1010-digital-transmitter/

20 hours ago, Jim Gilchrist said:

Will be soon.

Ty is in Baltimore, America. So Audio, Ltd. would have nearly no interest in providing him a review unit if a release wasn't planned.

Are they available in Greece now?

Best regards,

Jim

Hi Jim,

Yes it's available for pre-order at Greece.

I was referring to record function.

13 hours ago, Constantin said:

The signal gets converted to a digital signal and never gets converted back. Lecto's is a digital hybrid system, which in everyday life doesn't really matter, in practical terms it's really analog. Wisy is, afaik, entirely analog.

The main advantage to me with digital wireless is that you always get the full signal. There is no radio crackle or whatever, only the full clean signal. On the other hand when it does go out of range or there is an interference, you lose the signal completely. So it's all or nothing

This has not been my experience with the 1010. When you get to the fringe, there's quite a bit of crackle.

8 hours ago, daniel said:

Like wise re the dsub, 1 of the rental houses said they could make me something like this. I had a demo unit of the DWX from cvp and was very impressed - the only reason I didn't go for it was in the end was I only needed 2 channels and wanted 2 separate receivers (which is a problem for a system that only has dual receivers) - if I had needed 4 channels I think I would have bought them. I remember seeing a prototype box (by VMI perhaps) that would take 2 of the RX units (4 channels) and looked a good way to go for a bag based op wanting to run this system. I imagine there will be a trickle down of the DWX system in the used market from camera ops and rental houses for which the portable system seems to be marketed. The Sennheiser ek 6042 looks like it could be a smart way to go for ops transitioning from analogue to digital and slot in as well. It wont have TX recording though, only 2 of those available in the UK market (and just 1 in USA). 

Is this termination for bag use too big? 

P2020100.JPG

P2020099.JPG

1 hour ago, Ty Ford said:

This has not been my experience with the 1010. When you get to the fringe, there's quite a bit of crackle.

Really? Strange. I mean, my only experience with digital wireless system is from Zaxcom, where this does seem to be the case. Unless you mean that there is so much on/off that it begins to sound like crackle? 

1 hour ago, Ty Ford said:

Is this termination for bag use too big? 

P2020100.JPG

P2020099.JPG

Indeed not, it looks gorgeously sleek.

Are those strain glands on flying leads and not some new fangley connectors?

If you had 2 in the bag, side by side, without separation, would the cables on the RH unit have to bend quite hard to clear the the LH unit? Would this O/P module be compatible with other slot in RM systems?

They are strain glands on the cable OPs from the Rx. I do not know if they make RA versions of these.

It is not a connector. The OP module screws onto the bottom of the Rx. The two connect by a D connector. It is the standard, SL6 D connector, as I understand it.

It would be very easy indeed to slightly offset adjacent Receivers in order to allow the OP wires to miss each other. I really done think it will be a problem.

Kindest regards,

Simon B

28 minutes ago, Lancashire soundie said:

You mean if the cable pictured breaks, you need a whole module (and cables) to temporarily replace it?  Not a great idea if so, since cables like that are prone to failure.

Don't you have to carry a spare of whatever is used to patch RX O/P to an I/P, even if the RX has an XLR O/P?

18 hours ago, daniel said:

Indeed not, it looks gorgeously sleek.

Are those strain glands on flying leads and not some new fangley connectors?

If you had 2 in the bag, side by side, without separation, would the cables on the RH unit have to bend quite hard to clear the the LH unit? Would this O/P module be compatible with other slot in RM systems?

Essentially it's a more streamlined version of this?:
IMG_0449.JPG

19 hours ago, Constantin said:

Really? Strange. I mean, my only experience with digital wireless system is from Zaxcom, where this does seem to be the case. Unless you mean that there is so much on/off that it begins to sound like crackle? 

Zaxcom works differently then any other wireless. Instead of loud noises it has silence. Also for very small drop outs it uses some kind of sample replacing technology that inserts I believe a copy of the previous samples in place of the drop out.

1 hour ago, Lancashire soundie said:

You mean if the cable pictured breaks, you need a whole module (and cables) to temporarily replace it?  Not a great idea if so, since cables like that are prone to failure.

I did ask Kish about this. He said that adding a connector - like a TA5 would increase the size of the adapter a fair bit.
the cable is repairable in the module, though I wont investigate this too much until I have my own ones, not really prepared to check this out just now with a loaned unit.

The cable used is the same that they have been using for their envoy series and have had very little issues.

I may end up getting the DB25 module as well and make up some breakout cables, but until I work out what I want to do for distribution and bag / cart use.

4 hours ago, Lancashire soundie said:

Well yes, but at least I can use it for other things.  And it'll also be a lot cheaper.

We might spend a lot of money on cables but relatively they are small part of the investment of owning kit - but I know what you're saying.

How about dual channel and power break outs with cat5 and an rj45 connector at the RX (small, cheap, light and ubiquitous? Then if the RX gets dante enabled the same chassis connector can be used - it would be especially cool if dante allows for daisy chaining (? - no :('star' topology). 2 connectors per unit, 1 in, 1 out, the last 1 in the chain sends all the channels to the mixer/recorder. So something needs to be the hub/star. Sorry - thinking out loud and OT.

20 minutes ago, RadoStefanov said:

all due respect but fuck RJ45 in a bag...

also oneunit so no cables.

Thanks for the feedback. I was thinking more along the lines of:

http://www.neutrik.com/en/ethercon/ethercon-chassis-connectors/

instead of the thing on the back of a router. But I was also playing devils advocate with regards cost of cables and connectors (and thinking out loud and OT).

But I defer to your greater wisdom and emphasis on these things. 

2 hours ago, daniel said:

Thanks for the feedback. I was thinking more along the lines of:

http://www.neutrik.com/en/ethercon/ethercon-chassis-connectors/

instead of the thing on the back of a router. But I was also playing devils advocate with regards cost of cables and connectors (and thinking out loud and OT).

But I defer to your greater wisdom and emphasis on these things. 

The strain relief and connector lock  on  rj45 are horrible.

The strain relief and connector lock  on  rj45 are horrible.

While I've had lots of problems with ethernet cables over the years (mostly of not having the right one around), none of them had to do with a broken or a strained connector. That includes mild usage of SD's CL-Wifi in my bag and on my cart.

To be perfectly honest though, I have so much mixed and matched gear of various epochs so to speak, Oneunit and rj45/Dante would be terrible for me. But I do admire your efforts anyway.

Well I don't need to match. I have DPA mics going in to digital and everything else after is just 0s and 1s. And at total weight 7 pounds I don't even need to use my Maxx bags anymore because my bag is both small and big at the same time.

Also it is not effort. In the words of George W. Bush : Mission Accomplished. (:

Clarification here - Lectro Digital Hybrid is definitely different from the Wisycom (which has a digital component but is NOT digital hybrid) and is not "the same as analog".    If you want the technical details, you can read all about it here. - http://www.google.com/patents/US7225135.  (That way I don't clutter this thread up with unrelated details.)

Both transmitter and receiver are full digital devices.  It is correct we do not transmit 0's and 1's - the link is FM .  We do have systems which do so but not in the portable formats.

My apologies to Ty Ford and Audio Limited for infringing on their thread but I wanted to correct that one statement (and I know it's beating an old drum) .

Now, back to the purpose of this thread - the Audio Limited 1010 review by Ty Ford.   Go, TY!

Gordon

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...