Audio Ltd. 1010

Ty Ford

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

they aren't dual channel as they are still working on the dual channel receiver. getting it into something that fits the camera slot spec and doesn't draw too much current is one of the issues i believe.

i would suspect that if you connect to an AES input it will wither only give you signal on the odd numbered channel, or duplicate the signal on both channels. but currently, if you were using say, a 788, you would only be able to use 4 on channels 1, 3, 5 and 7.
AES (for me anyway) will be more interesting once they manage a dual receiver.

Audio have kindly loaned me a unit for a couple of weeks, and i hope to be getting mine middle of this month.

audio havent written a manual, as, in their words, they have tried to make it as intuitive as possible, and i haven't been unable to work anything out so far.

i have read on the internet, where everything that you read is true, that the recording functionality will not be enabled for US units.

from my testing so far, audio quality is excellent, as you would expect (though i havent used it in real life, just at home)

range also was excellent on the walk test that i did.

battery life was ok. i got 4 hours today at 50mw on NiMh batteries, though i did have the display on all the time as i was checking sync - no visible drift in those 4 hours compared to my 788.
will try again tomorrow with the run time, this time with the display off.

24 minutes ago, Jim Gilchrist said:

Will be soon.

Ty is in Baltimore, America. So Audio, Ltd. would have nearly no interest in providing him a review unit if a release wasn't planned.

Are they available in Greece now?

Best regards,

Jim

I think vas was referring to the record function, in the u.s. 

21 hours ago, Matt Bacon AMPS said:

Record function?

not in the USA. I don't know what the repercussions would be if you bought it "grey market" abroad. 
In the past, that's sometimes means you can't get service in the USA, for example, if the piece was not bought in the USA.

48 minutes ago, ao said:

I think vas was referring to the record function, in the u.s. 

It will be soon I expect. Unless a US-based manufacturer decides to block the release. 

Regarding manuals, I've used Audio, Ltd. rf equipment since 1987 and it's pretty hard to imagine anything being more intuitive.

Best regards,

Jim

1 hour ago, dolo72 said:

I don't really understand how a single channel AES output is gonna work ? I have never seen a single channel AES input so is it dual mono or do they have to work in pairs ? 

Dunno how it's switched, but just plug XLR into one 664 or 633 input and the audio comes up on that input.

It will be soon I expect. Unless a US-based manufacturer decides to block the release. 

I'm pretty sure that that has already happened, or Audio Ltd. has pre-emptively decided to not risk a patent infringement. Either way, I don't think the recording function is coming to the US anytime soon.

i would suspect that if you connect to an AES input it will wither only give you signal on the odd numbered channel, or duplicate the signal on both channels. but currently, if you were using say, a 788, you would only be able to use 4 on channels 1, 3, 5 and 7.

Although you could route them to adjacent tracks, of course and you could still use the other inputs for analog ins, of course.

I would definitely expect them to carry the same signal on both channels of the AES stream. That at least how it works with the single digital mics which are also mono

8 hours ago, Erkal Taskin said:

Why are they not dual channel like some other slot receivers? What is special about them? 

They are digital. Other than Zaxcom, who make a dual channel Rx which is digital, no other manufacturer makes a digital Tx/Rx system with small receivers.

Why are they not dual channel like some other slot receivers? What is special about them? 

They are digital. Other than Zaxcom, who make a dual channel Rx which is digital, no other manufacturer makes a digital Tx/Rx system with small receivers.

When you say digital, how are they different to Wisy or Lectro?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When you say digital, how are they different to Wisy or Lectro?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The signal gets converted to a digital signal and never gets converted back. Lecto's is a digital hybrid system, which in everyday life doesn't really matter, in practical terms it's really analog. Wisy is, afaik, entirely analog.

The main advantage to me with digital wireless is that you always get the full signal. There is no radio crackle or whatever, only the full clean signal. On the other hand when it does go out of range or there is an interference, you lose the signal completely. So it's all or nothing

1 hour ago, Constantin said:

The signal gets converted to a digital signal and never gets converted back. Lecto's is a digital hybrid system, which in everyday life doesn't really matter, in practical terms it's really analog. Wisy is, afaik, entirely analog.

The main advantage to me with digital wireless is that you always get the full signal. There is no radio crackle or whatever, only the full clean signal. On the other hand when it does go out of range or there is an interference, you lose the signal completely. So it's all or nothing

So they send digital data across radio transmission? 

I think Wisy is digital hybrid, like Lectro. It definitely has some DSP in it however I am not really sure how that differs from this one. 

1 minute ago, Erkal Taskin said:

So they send digital data across radio transmission? 

Hi Erkal, and yes, Zaxcom and Audio Ltd send digital, ones and zeros, as their radio transmission. None of the other manufacturers do this with a portable receiver (though Sennheiser have shown a portable receiver, so they will join the club soon).

Digital allows numerous things that analogue cant do, so, for instance, you can pack many more channels into much less spectrum, eg analogue in an 8MHz block you'd struggle to get more than about 8 channels at the same time, with digital you can get twice that or more. Basocally you can tune the channels in closer to each other and they wont interfere. Plenty of other advantages also.

Hope that this helps, sb

10 minutes ago, Bash said:

Hi Erkal, and yes, Zaxcom and Audio Ltd send digital, ones and zeros, as their radio transmission. None of the other manufacturers do this with a portable receiver (though Sennheiser have shown a portable receiver, so they will join the club soon).

Digital allows numerous things that analogue cant do, so, for instance, you can pack many more channels into much less spectrum, eg analogue in an 8MHz block you'd struggle to get more than about 8 channels at the same time, with digital you can get twice that or more. Basocally you can tune the channels in closer to each other and they wont interfere. Plenty of other advantages also.

Hope that this helps, sb

Good to know, thank you. Never experienced fully digital. Would love to know how it compares side by side. 

1 hour ago, Bash said:

Hope that this helps, sb

I'm not sure how exactly you define 'portable receiver' but Sony's DWX system is also fully digital and has a dual-channel slot receiver with the same form factor as a Wisy MCR42 or Lectro SRb (Sony S02d). Just saying.

1 hour ago, Jamie Tongue said:

I'm not sure how exactly you define 'portable receiver' but Sony's DWX system is also fully digital and has a dual-channel slot receiver with the same form factor as a Wisy MCR42 or Lectro SRb (Sony S02d). Just saying.

Not only has the DWX system been around for a while (the current units are second generation) - 1 could claim it is the only 2 channel digital slot in receiver - but only on Sony cameras.

2 minutes ago, daniel said:

Not only has it been around for a while (the current units are second generation) - 1 could claim it is the only 2 channel digital slot in receiver - but only on Sony cameras.

You can also use them in a bag with the adaptor case things, though they are priced outrageously and very large. I would be interested to investigate if it is possible to build a custom breakout cable from the 15 pin DSub to XLRs and a hirose. Would allow use in a bag with less size, weight and cost.