Sound barrier

Jack Norflus

i was expecting a thread about the recording of supersonic jets! I'd be interested to know the dB reduction level for hay bales [the traditional generator noise reduction material of my youth]. There is new suggestion in research circles that as much as 30% of heart disease is caused by noise pollution...

music that instantly began to play through my speakers.  I don't even bother to read websites like that, I just close and move on

+1

I was listening to some lovely Poulenc and then this started blasting on top of it. I glanced at the picture -- hard to believe it'll do much for LF noise -- but closed the site. If there'd been a way to turn off the website music, I would have started looking for NR curves for the product. And then mentioned it in my books, if appropriate. Ah well...

Also hard to believe they think the music actually helps their sales.

43 minutes ago, Jay Rose said:

Also hard to believe they think the music actually helps their sales.

Not that it's any less obnoxious, but this web site doesn't actually load and play an audio (or MIDI) file in a loop without any player UI to stop or mute it, like some other web sites do. This one is simply auto-starting a YouTube video that showcases their product. The video has no narration, so it makes it seem like it's a simple music file.

But I concur, this sort of thing needs to be discouraged. I would have dropped them a quick note to that effect, but the web form on their Contact Us page had too many required fields, yet another bit of user-hostile behavior.

Clearly these people are not being well served by whomever designed their web site.

This one is simply auto-starting a YouTube video that showcases their product. 

Uh... isn't this supposed to be a sound control product? Why would they do a demo video with scoring, rather than with before/after SOT of their product actually in use?

(Granted, it would be easy enough to manipulate the SOT either during shoot or post to make the product seem more effective... but at least it's a start.)