A new cart

Jeff Wexler

Why, you might ask, am I building a new cart? There is no rational answer --- I did start out to build a smaller, upright follow cart, but now I'm not really sure what I'm going to do with this. First time using StarCase rack kit (now that it is available in aluminum black powder coated) and I literally got this basic frame together in 2 hours. It is amazingly light (I know, nothing in it yet!) and very rigid structurally. It may end up just housing a stack of drawers, I don't know. In any case, I recommend StarCase as a source for anyone who really wants to build their own cart without having to rely on help from fabricators, welders, etc.

cart-side.jpg.652f9a5600137d634937ea72a8

1 hour ago, Christopher Mills said:

Are the wheels all from Starcase as well?

No, just the frame is from StarCase, it's one of their rack KITS. The wheels I have had around for s long time, used them on some other carts. Mixed feelings on them --- they are plastic and tubes (never found decent flat-free ones this size) but they ride really nice. The front casters are 5" with brake --- bigger than I usually use. I am so jazzed that I could get it together so quickly --- fastest build ever. I think it is going to be very useful to have all the material pre-drilled (10-32) so that adding shelves, sliders, accessories and so forth will be very easy.

29 minutes ago, Rob Stalder said:

Yep - why are you building a new cart???

Well very interesting you are using the Star Case aluminium (aluminium) rack kit. I have had my eye on that since they bought it out, it has a lot of potential.

I will be scrutinising your progress if you don't mind.

Cheers,

Rob

Hey, Rob, you know the main reason for trying the StarCase stuff is sort of the same reason I went with 80/20 profiles for the last cart: it's all stuff I can work with since I am not very skilled at welding or heli-arc, I don't have the means to properly cut the raw aluminum, etc. So, I have often had to go with the erector-set approach, pre-cut pieces and bolted assembly. I think ultimately it is not the best approach. Building carts the way you do it is really the right way.

Jeff if you want to cut aluminium cleanly (including this rack frame) all you need is a drop saw, the type you see carpenters use.

Not too cheap, but it doesn't need to be expensive. You buy an aluminium cutting blade (about AU$90), to replace the existing blade.

It has very fine teeth and is a bit thicker.

If you buy one that has the facility for the blade to slide forwards & backwards, that will enable you to cut up smaller sections of sheet aluminium.

You do need to be a bit careful with them when cutting aluminium.

These are high speed saws, bits have the potential to fly around.

You just need to wear good face protection, a drop down visor is what I use.

Also generally I don't ever use the blade on a vertical angle. I never cut at a horizontal angle to the side I am holding on.

Nor do I cut off small pieces of about 1/4 inch. These offcuts can get airborne. With that small amount I usually shave it down

in increments.

Hope that helps,

Rob

• 3 weeks later...

I know exactly why JW is building a new cart.  He sits in front of it all day long and in this situation one's mind constantly seeks to refine, improve and experiment with one's major axe.  Seeing how people solve the "cart problem" is a major source of entertainment for me, and I look forward to very detailed reports from the Maestro.