Trending now: "Swiss skier, a string - And, an iPhone

http://www.cnet.com/news/this-is-what-happens-when-you-swing-an-iphone-around-your-head-while-skiing/

A video of a man skiing down a mountain and apparently swinging an iPhone 6 around on a string mesmerizes YouTube.

by Chris Matyszczyk

When it comes to YouTube videos that fascinate many, it's rarely worth asking why.

No, not why they fascinate, but why they were made in the first place.

In the case of the latest video that's already moved almost a million people in 24 hours, what we have is a man skiing down a mountain.

Certainly, his right arm seems to be constantly raised, as if he's lassoing a troubled member of the cattle community. There's also a piece of cable that he clutches at the beginning of the video.

The effect of this so-called Centriphone is mesmerizing.

I asked Vuignier if all he's doing is waving an iPhone on a cable around his head. He replied: "Yes, that's it."

He explained that he used a custom-made 3-D printed rig. He had an Olloclip wide-angled lens and a 64GB iPhone 6 (space gray, if you're wondering). He used the Apple camera app at 240 fps and slowed it down by 10 percent.

He admitted he'd tried a GoPro first, but the 120 fps wasn't enough to create the right effect.

"The biggest challenge was to make the phone stable when skiing at reasonable speed," he said. "The turbulent wind caused by the forward motion of the skier made the phone spin uncontrollably."

You might be thinking that Vuignier is a decent skier. On his Web site, it's revealed that he's "one of the most respected and iconic rider [sic] of his generation." It says he has a "calm nature" as well as a certain "virtuosity."

But he's also a self-taught graphic designer and video editor. How might those editing skills have helped here?

Naturally, one or two people will worry that he might have wrecked his iPhone 6 in the making of this oeuvre.

Worry not, he reassures on YouTube. "No iPhones were harmed during the making of this video (I still use it everyday)."

GoPro has been experiencing a touch of difficulty lately -- though a new licensing deal with Microsoft has boosted it a little. Perhaps, then, Vuignier's invention will be the next exciting means by which extremists will be able to film their activities.

Just think of all those swinging iPhones at your local ski resort. What could possibly go wrong?

• 4 weeks later...
Quote:

Published on Feb 29, 2016
I took a little while, but here it is!
I received countless feedbacks asking for a making of explaining how I shot the Centriphone video.
So here's how I did it, I hope you like it.
Download the files to make your own or pre-order the patent-pending versions on http://centriphone.me