Camera crews friendliness indirectly proportional to number

Nick Flowers

I thought that it was just my own experience, but recently another soundy made the same observation to me: that when working with just one camera person on a small production, they are helpful and friendly; but as the number of people in the camera department increases, so their friendliness is replaced by a distant, selfish and dismissive attitude to the sound department. Obviously there are notable exceptions to this, but very generally this seems to me to be the case. Has anyone else noticed this? All other factors put to one side, I had far rather work with one camera person on a docco, than with a camera crew of 3 or 4 on a drama or feature.

While I personally have seen no direct correlation, I do find there is a general tendency among departments to mass in cliques, and I suppose it's only natural to feel slightly more comfortable among members of one's own tribe, especially if they are people they've worked with before.

7 hours ago, Nick Flowers said:

I thought that it was just my own experience, but recently another soundy made the same observation to me: that when working with just one camera person on a small production, they are helpful and friendly; but as the number of people in the camera department increases, so their friendliness is replaced by a distant, selfish and dismissive attitude to the sound department. Obviously there are notable exceptions to this, but very generally this seems to me to be the case. Has anyone else noticed this? All other factors put to one side, I had far rather work with one camera person on a docco, than with a camera crew of 3 or 4 on a drama or feature.

True

Seems natural to me.  The more people involved in a production, the more each person's job depends upon another person performing their function in a timely manner -- thus the level of stress increases. 

A larger production tends to have more suits needing to justify their value to the production -- thus the level of stress increases.

More moving parts means more focus is needed on any task at hand.

I feel fortunate in that most of the ACs I encounter are great to work with and I look forward to seeing them on set.