MKH30 element rattle

Donald Kauffman

Hi there

I'm using an mkh30/40 ms set up in a Rycote. While walking around I've noticed a metallic sort of tapping when the windshield is pointed in certain ways (usually pointed down). This comes from the side element and I thought it must be touching something in the windshield, but with further inspection I've realised that it's coming from inside the mkh30. With the 30 in my hand and moving it around it sounds like the element is tapping off the casing.

What I'm wondering is, is this normal operation?

Thanks 

Thanks for the replies. With further investigation I'm not sure it's the element but possibly something to do with the XLR connection. I had noticed that it's really difficult to get cables out of it. You really have to yank it. I can kind of twist the XLR in and there's a click and the metallic knocking seems to stop. But there is still a very subtle rattle so something is loose.

I'll get onto Sennheiser anyway. Anyone know if their service prices are reasonable? No warranty

Cheers

5 minutes ago, Donald Kauffman said:

Thanks for the replies. With further investigation I'm not sure it's the element but possibly something to do with the XLR connection. I had noticed that it's really difficult to get cables out of it. You really have to yank it. <!>

I can kind of twist the XLR in and there's a click and the metallic knocking seems to stop. <!>

But there is still a very subtle rattle so something is loose.

Although it doesn't explain the other symptoms, does the female XLR have its rubber 'O ring'

I'll get onto Sennheiser anyway. Anyone know if their service prices are reasonable? No warranty

Anything less than what you'll pay to replace the mic will be "reasonable" unless you want a new paper weight :-)

Cheers

20 minutes ago, daniel said:

Well the original symptom did also seem to be something loose and adjusting the xlr stops it somewhat. But as I mentioned it's harder than it should be to get cables in and out and seems like that may have caused it.

It's not really a choice between a paper weight or getting it fixed as it works fine on a stand. Obviously it would be a lot better to get it fixed but probably won't be able to if it's gonna cost hundreds.

8 minutes ago, Glen Deakin said:

It's broken. Send to sennheiser. They will take care of it.  

Yes I agree with you and I've emailed sennheiser. Waiting to se what they say. Cheers

19 minutes ago, Glen Deakin said:

I always found MKH 20 30 40 50 60 70 mics to always be tight on the xlr and always took a bit of pulling to take the xlr female connector out. I usually just leave them always connected. No "O" ring necessary.   The pins should not move. 

Right ok. So that shouldn't have caused any major damage then if it's by design. I'll just have to pray it's nothing too pricey to fix!

On 14/02/2016 at 6:47 PM, David Lipka said:

Hi Donald, I had the same problem with a MKH50, i sent it to Sennheiser and the cost to fix it was about 50 Dollars included shipment. Never knew what it was.. Definitely worth to fix these microphones !!

Thanks for the info David. If it turns out to be as reasonable as that then happy days

On 2/14/2016 at 6:47 PM, David Lipka said:

Hi Donald, I had the same problem with a MKH50, i sent it to Sennheiser and the cost to fix it was about 50 Dollars included shipment. Never knew what it was.. Definitely worth to fix these microphones !!

I spoke with a general Sennheiser employee who said that they charge a flat fee of over £200 no matter how big or small the issue. This could be great if you had a dead mike but more than I was hoping to have to spend. It would be good to talk to someone who knows the specifics of fixing these. I see a guy called Martin Gathard mentioned a lot but don't know how to get in contact with him. Anyone?

PM sent with Martin Gathard's phone number.

Martin is *the* Neumann expert inthe UK, having worked for FWO Bauch when they were the Neumann distributor and then moved to Sennheiser UK when Neumann was sold to them.  Since about 1990 he has been working on Sennheiser mics as well as Neumann, so knows these inside-out as well.  There is no-one outside Sennheiser I would trust my mics to other than Martin.