Sennheiser MKH50 vs Neumann KM185D

daniel

We looked at the c preamp for the 4018, super small, super light, super sound,just decided it wouldn't be rugged enough for multi user broadcast TV environment...

I love the extra suck and punchy sound of the 50 over the schoeps..i used a 50 on a feature for nearly every shot ( and only 2 scenes radio miced), it was great, where as the schoeps often didn't have enough suck in comparision ..

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/02/2016 at 2:56 PM, soundmanjohn said:

It's difficult to know: the software doesn't seem to have been updated since 2012 and the rather clueless lady at Senneheiser needed guiding in order even to know what a DMI-2 P was.

Oh dear - I was the one who knew all about digital mics. when I worked as Technical Manager at Sennheiser UK, but I left there about 6 years ago.

I have written a couple of AES papers on AES42 digital mics and do have a DMI-2 and two DMI-2p myself, as well as both Neumann and Sennheiser digital mics (and an AETA 4MinX which will also accept AES42) - I also plan on giving the Gefell one a test when I can.

I have attached my two AES papers should anyone be interested and I also have PDFs of a few magazine articles on AES42 microphones on file.

I'm happy to help with AES42 questions if I can.

AES 130 - Digital Microphones - What's it all about - John WIllett.pdf

AES - Digital Microphones - AES42 and all that.pdf

1 hour ago, John Willett said:

I have attached my two AES papers should anyone be interested and I also have PDFs of a few magazine articles on AES42 microphones on file.

Thanks and welcome from me as well, John!

Links to pdf of any decent informative magazine articles (I remember the days of learning the odd thing from Audio Media and even Sound On Sound ...) would be welcome if you get the chance. I've downloaded the AES papers to read through.

None of my mics are digital, nor preamps/recorders at this point, but I'm interested in progress.

Cheers again, Jez Adamson

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 5 March 2016 at 3:36 PM, John Willett said:

Oh dear - I was the one who knew all about digital mics. when I worked as Technical Manager at Sennheiser UK, but I left there about 6 years ago.

I have written a couple of AES papers on AES42 digital mics and do have a DMI-2 and two DMI-2p myself, as well as both Neumann and Sennheiser digital mics (and an AETA 4MinX which will also accept AES42) - I also plan on giving the Gefell one a test when I can.

AES 130 - Digital Microphones - What's it all about - John WIllett.pdf

AES - Digital Microphones - AES42 and all that.pdf

Bounced again for Rado (equipment wishes 2017 thread).

Jez

Hi,

i would choose from sound prefererences...

My impressions where:

Sennheiser 8050, 8060 and MKH 416 tend to sound sharp and compressed on some voices,

Neumann KM 150 a little bit thin, lower output

I prefer Gefell M 310 for indoor use...

Also think about that with digital mics it can be a problem to use them in a ms configuration with an analog fig. 8...

Had a schoeps digital cmit for a shooting and it was not possible to use it with a neumann kma 120, digital noise was bleeding at the 5pin cable as both mics share the same ground

On 18/02/2016 at 8:04 AM, chrismedr said:

snip

on a 633, the 185 needed a lot more gain then the 8050 or 50 (which needed least). in fact for very quiet sounds self-noise became a real issue (first thought it was broken, but the person who rented it to me checked it and said it was alright and that most likely the preamps of the 633 didn't have enough power get noisy on high gain)

snip

chris

The 185 has a lower output then a mkh50, thats why.

10 mV/PA  Vs 25 mV/PA , (as found by google in less than 2 seconds..)

There's nothing wrong with your 633 or the mic. I used a km185 for 5+ years as my main mic, it IS noisy compared to a mkh50 and you will hear "hiss" in a quiet IV situation. 

edit:

only just noticed the year this was posted.. but my point is still the same. Does no one read equipment specs anymore?

Edited by engaudio
time

3 hours ago, engaudio said:

10 mV/PA  Vs 25 mV/PA , (as found by google in less than 2 seconds..)

There's nothing wrong with your 633 or the mic. I used a km185 for 5+ years as my main mic, it IS noisy compared to a mkh50 and you will hear "hiss" in a quiet IV situation.  [...] 

but my point is still the same. Does no one read equipment specs anymore?

I'm often guilty of assuming that people are lazy too, but in this case I did research this and did read the specs, in fact I even stated this in post #21:

On 18 Feb 2016 at 1:28 PM, chrismedr said:

jup, i looked at the specs of the mics at the time and came to a similar conclusion.

but i also compared a CMC641 and a 416 to the MKH50 and 185 at the time, the MKH416 sounded very close to the MKH50 (both in terms of noise floor and "character"), the 641 needed more gain and was a bit more noisy but still very nice even at whispering tests. the 185 in comparison to the 641 had *significantly* more noise, to a point where my thought was "this must be faulty".

maybe it was and the person who rented it to me didn't realise (he had some fancy test equipment and much more experience then me though), would be interesting to hear from others who have experience with the 185 on field recorders with very low ambient sounds.

so good to know that it works for you, and thanks for reporting back with your experiences.  From the test I did I bought a MKH50 in the end because the hiss on this particular 185 was way more then I felt comfortable with.