Deneke & TC buddy or Ambient & ACN Lockits

cstauffer

Hello all. I am considering some new slate purchases and have been doing lots of reading about the two systems in the title of this post. Looking, now, for Mixer opinions from those using them. What experiences have you had with them? Work well? Do what they say they do?

Also, are you guys using these systems just as transmitted constant TC jam devices, or is anyone out there using any of the other functions when hooked up to the ARRI and RED cameras for camera metadata gathering to sync the info with either Script supervisor, or the DIT? 

Thanks and I look forward to your responses...

CRAIG

30+years with Denecke, from Mike himself to Charlie and the current staff, always supportive and there when you need them with products that just work (and work and work).  TC slates take a terrible beating and everyone fibrillates if they so much as hiccup while being displayed to a camera.  Denecke slates have been one of the most reliable pieces of gear I've ever had.  This is not a knock on Ambient by the way--I'm a very happy user of Lockits, I just prefer Denecke's slates.  (I've also have decades of use in on their mic PSUs, TC boxes and the old boom talkback+moni system--all rock solid.)

I know there have only been a few responses so far, and thank you for them, but want to also make sure I was clear I would also like to hear if, and how, you may be using Timecode Buddy with Deneke slate and Ambient ACN network with the new Ambient slate. Just using it to keep the slates continually jammed? Or using some of the advanced metadata reporting they can both do from ARRI and RED cameras? Though I suspect managing that info becomes a camera, and Scripty responsibility. Thanks everyone...

CRAIG

Agree that Denecke gear, and the team behind it, are top notch.  I'm quite happy with my large collection of Denecke devices, and Charlie and his crew have been stellar in their support.

Nothing against Ambient, of course, as you really won't go wrong with products from either company.  I've used Ambient time code on occasion with solid results and I own a variety of other Ambient gear and am quite happy with it.

One thing to keep in mind, when support is needed,  if you live in the States, California is a lot closer than Germany -- in Europe, the converse is true.

As far as systemwide metadata distribution, it requires that all parties (script, camera, sound, post) be on the same page, and have committed to the system being used, or it may result in more chaos than order.  It's always safer to stick to "standard operating procedure."

8 minutes ago, John Blankenship said:

As far as systemwide metadata distribution, it requires that all parties (script, camera, sound, post) be on the same page, and have committed to the system being used, or it may result in more chaos than order.  It's always safer to stick to "standard operating procedure."

Yes, and while a big long job like a season of an episodic or a large movie can gear up and test to use that kind of network, having that kind of thing become standardized and "just work" on short-schedule jobs is still a ways off I think.  Too many variables requiring too much communication and prep by too many people to work for a 1-day job (so far).  Someday, I guess.

13 minutes ago, John Blankenship said:

if you live in the States, California is a lot closer than Germany -- in Europe, the converse is true.

You're right, John. I'm a happy Ambient user and love especially the ACN features.

Just switch on the Lockit in your bag in the morning and start transmitting sync - all other lockits receive it as soon as the camera guys have mounted their batteries and switched on their units. Cameras supplying the lockits with power. The successful reception is displayed on your unit. Wonderful for me, since I do many ENG style multicam shoots including TC cameras and cameras without TC like DSLR for which I use the slate.

But of course the Denecke slates look more rugged and you also have a great choice of models. Ambient slate is just one version and so sometimes too much or too small for your shoot