688 keyboard fail

boomhead

I have been using a small hardwired keyboard (don't know make) with my 688 and it typically stops working randomly after some time.  I try replugging and rebooting to no avail and yet a couple of LED's flash.  It always works again the next day but I have not been able to pinpoint what action might be causing this.  Today I think it happened when I unplugged my TC cable and plugged in another to jam the slate.  Is it possible I'm creating some static discharge that renders it useless?  Anyone else have a similar problem?

• 3 months later...

Same problem with the 688 and 633 both with latest firmware.  Happening pretty much every day, several times.  Sometimes I think it happens when I may be messing around with outputs, other times with no interaction at all.  The only way I can reset it is to power off the unit, and cancel the quickboot by holding down the menu button for 5 secs.  Something causes it to lose power to the USB or fail to recognize and I'm pretty sure it's a ground related thing.  I've tried different cables and USB adapters, no difference.  You would think this would also cause CL-12 issues but none that I've heard.  This is the keyboard I'm using:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/638638-REG/Adesso_AKB_110B_EasyTouch_Mini_Keyboard_Black.html

And, no, I haven't yet tried a different keyboard.

• 3 months later...

What I found with my 664 (all firmware vers so far) is that the machine seems fussy about the adapters and the cable between the keybd and the recorder.  I found that if I kept the cable short and swapped out adapters then the problem would usually go away.   I was always able to get the keybd to come back by rebooting the recorder, but once the machine started to lose the keyboard randomly it didn't stop doing this until I replaced the cable and adapter.  Some keyboards are less problematic than others.  The electronic connection seems a little tenuous or weak...   I never had this issue in 7xx recorders, even with the funky CL1.  If the keyboard worked it stayed working.

I've been using the Addesso w my 688 w v 3.11 and never had an issue. Switching to v4.0 today so I can use Wingman. I upgraded my 366 last night at work to v4.0...   works great w Wingman. I use mine w a power cable and the cl-12. All good. over 120 days so far this year. I've never used the 688 and a keyboard alone.

CrewC

Running 3.11 on both a 664 and 633 I've had no keyboard issues at all since switching to a hard adaptor much like the one that appears to be included in the WM-Coonnect kit. Got them from VPI, at this link.

flexible-usbaf-usbbm-gender-changer.jpg

Best regards,

Jim

What keyboard model are you using? I'm looking for a problem-free one for my 664.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

I've had great luck with:

SolidTek's ASK-3100U mini wired keyboard https://www.amazon.com/Solid-KB-P3100BU-ASK-3100U-SuperMini-Keyboard/dp/B000G7PN7M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1473788256&sr=8-1&keywords=ASK-3100U

The Rii pre-paired 2.4 GHz. wireless keyboard many are using https://www.amazon.com/Rii-Wireless-Keyboard-Multimedia-Handheld/dp/B004716NFE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1379079286&sr=8-1&keywords=rii+mini

Micro center's store brand 88 key PC keyboard http://www.microcenter.com/product/340579/Mini_USB_Keyboard_-_Black Anything like this one should work fine.

USB, no built-in hub, no bluetooth keyboards. 

Best regards,

Jim

I would definitely consider Jim's recommendations, especially if they have been used successfully. I'm using a mini keyboard (brand name no idea) that I use with my Mac mini. It works perfectly with the 633 & 664, before and after newest update.

However, it still has an issue with the 688 (updated to 4.00). What I have learned is if I unplug the keyboard, power down, wait a few seconds, power up and replug, it will work (as well as doing a quick boot override during power down). 

Found a nice little wired usb keyboard that fits in the bag with the 633. Seems well built but the cable is thin. You might like as well:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/823913-REG/Solidtek_KBP3100SU_Mini_77_Key_Keyboard.html

It was a stock item and I see it's special order now. Maybe i bought the last one in stock?

Sorry Mr. Gilchrist! I just noticed you had already recommended the same keyboard, just different color.