Calling Chicagoans - How well do you know your El?

soundmanjohn

Hello folks,

I have a four hour stop-over in Chicago later this month and I'll have my recording kit with me in my hand luggage. I could hang around in the lounge for four hours, or I could take the El into town and find a really great location to record sound effects of trains running over elevated sections of the track. What I need is a decent spot to record, with minimal street traffic, fairly frequent trains and low likelihood of being mugged. (Just kidding - I know your city is the safest in the world...)

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

John

It's been a while for me, but possibly the north end of the Brown Line. It's not really elevated up there, but more of on street level if I remember correctly. I was up that way all the time because my wife was going to college way up there. You could also head up into Evanston on the purple line. It gets pretty quiet up there. 

It also depends on the time of day. Obviously, late at night in some places will be best because there will be very few people around. You should get some sounds of the train from the interior when it goes underground. I've seen lots of sounds available of the El from an exterior perspective, but not so much from the interior. Also get some good sounds from the platforms in the subway. You'll meet some interesting people there as well. 

• 3 weeks later...