Please help me around!!

kwaisan

Hi everyone, begining of this year i planned to buy a beyer dynamic dt770 80ohm, bt then recently i went to the shop and they out of stock. 

Do u guys have any headphones to suggest? Which quality is quite ok like dt770 does..

*im doing sound in production

ur reply will be appeciated! 

Its a subjective decision, many folks prefer the fit and sound of the Sony 7506 (lower priced consumer version: MDRV6 which is pretty much identical). Many other folks prefer the similarly priced Sennheiser HD280. The Beyerdynamic's are certainly worthy of consideration.  My 'personal' preference is the 7506 w/ Garfield Softie covers. Anything else feels and sounds foreign to me, after using the 7506/V6 since '91.

56 minutes ago, Abe Dolinger said:

This is a good tip!  A quick Google reveals that most people can't tell the difference (outside of certain notorious headphone audiophile forums).  Thanks.

I think you'll find that nearly 100% of professional production sound users can easily tell the difference between headphone models, though which one is preferred will vary for many reasons already often discussed here.

GT

I love my Beyer DT250. I have used both 7506 and Sennheiser HDs. I have to say that I hated the Sennheisers, whereas so many people absolutely swear by them. The Sonys were ok, but seemed less comfortable and "cheaper" feeling on the ears, even with the interchangeable Beyer DT250 pads, which fit perfectly on the Sony's. The Sonys sound good when they were new, but I felt they became less representative after a while. If you replace them every year, as many do, then they're ok. But the DT250s sound nice, are very comfortable to wear all day, let in a bit of ambient noise (which I like), and are built well.

Slightly off topic but something to consider, the fit of the headphones can be more important then their spec'ed sound. Being on the lean side, I have found some of the looser fitting or headphones with with bigger ear cups allow for air gaps (for a lack of a better term). Early on, due budget I brought a pair of 280's. For me they were the worst headphone ever. The sound quality was fine but every time I moved my jaw in a certain way the seal between my ears and headphones was broken and for a brief moment everything was severely dulled. This happened regularly enough I gave them away. 

5 hours ago, DanieldH said:

The Beyerdynamic Custom Studio comes very close to the 770Pro

These look interesting not least for ]the changeable sound which can be selected in four stages from a linear or even analytical sound to a rich, vibrant bass via the “CUSTOM STUDIO Sound Slider”.  What position are you using the 'sound slider'?

I'm giving a pair of Sennheiser HD8 DJs a go cos they've got the DJ in the name :-). No, seriously because they've got circum-aural swivelling ear cups, they get smaller for transport, and have good isolation, comfort, sound, spares and positioning on the head so don't flop around in battle.

On 8.3.2016 at 9:25 PM, daniel said:

These look interesting not least for ]the changeable sound which can be selected in four stages from a linear or even analytical sound to a rich, vibrant bass via the “CUSTOM STUDIO Sound Slider”.  What position are you using the 'sound slider'?

I'm giving a pair of Sennheiser HD8 DJs a go cos they've got the DJ in the name :-). No, seriously because they've got circum-aural swivelling ear cups, they get smaller for transport, and have good isolation, comfort, sound, spares and positioning on the head so don't flop around in battle.

I haven't use them for a longer time yet and my ears are still getting used to them (or rather my bio-DSP in between). Also I have not yet conducted tests with various kinds of signals. Therefore the following is highly subjective!

The "slider" does not do that much, at least not as much as one might expect from the advertising. You do not turn a monitoring studio HP into some DrDre/Bose style bass boosted thing for music. The slider is a completely mechanical thing (or "pneumatic" if you wish), nothing electric. It only switches 3 different sized holes (and one closed position) of the chamber around your ears to allow more or less LF waves to find expression within the chamber. (Apart from these holes, apparently, the velour pads as used on the 770 vs. leather pads shipped with the Custom One Pro also influence LF expression). On the other hand, these holes have the effect of providing a bit of openness to an otherwise closed circumaural construction.

Regarding your question:
While recording spoken words I've used the 2nd position (advertised as linear) and the first, when I want them as close as possible (reverbant room)
When I listen to podcasts or movies but I still want to hear sounds of my environment e.g. telephone, cat, door, a person addressing me, I use the most open position #4.

If foldability for compact transport is important to you, Beyerdynamic may not be the place to look.