SRc leaked on Dutch site

Shastapete

I don't have any experience with the srb so I don't know how the src compares, but I did just pick up an SRC5p in the A band.  I've been using a mixture of LR's in the A band and 411A's in block 20 and they both function pretty much the same in terms of range and sound.  For me, the src picks up much more interference than the 411A or the LR.  If I have more than two transmitters operating within about four feet of src, the src becomes nearly saturated with RF interference throughout almost all three blocks.  Neither the 411A or LR have much of any problems finding clear frequencies in the exact same location and conditions.  I've tried changing the powering source, changing the divmode, etc and nothing has improved the signal reception.  I have no idea if I have a faulty src or if this is a just a part of the design.  I wish I knew since I don't think I can use the src in it's current condition.  It definitely isn't able to operate with a transmitter as a camera hop in the same bag.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yeah, I don't think my report is necessarily how the src is supposed to function unless people have had similar experiences with the srb.  I could have a bad unit or an odd powering issue.  My first test for using the SRC as a replacement for two 411a's in my bag.  As soon as I turned on the hop, reception to the two transmitters became really bad and I was getting dropouts all of the time and a lot of interference noise.  I never had that problem with the two 411a's using the same frequencies and setup.

Casey has said: "Yeah, I don't think my report is necessarily how the src is supposed to function unless people have had similar experiences with the srb." My understanding from posts on the various Lectrosonics pages online, the SRc was released and quite quickly some problems were discovered, and just as quickly Lectro went to work on a fix for many or all of these problems you describe. According to Gordon Moore, the units needs to come back to Lectro for the problems to be corrected.

Casey has said: "Yeah, I don't think my report is necessarily how the src is supposed to function unless people have had similar experiences with the srb." My understanding from posts on the various Lectrosonics pages online, the SRc was released and quite quickly some problems were discovered, and just as quickly Lectro went to work on a fix for many or all of these problems you describe. According to Gordon Moore, the units needs to come back to Lectro for the problems to be corrected.

An update: we believe we have found a solution and have built up some test samples which will go out today to a small group of beta testers. Once we have their confirmation that the problem/s is/are solved, we will begin releasing units again for distribution and also updating customers' units. For those with SRc-A1s affected by this, please contact our service department at 800-821-1121 to arrange for the mod.

• 3 weeks later...

I sent in my SRc and got it back at the end of last week.  I received paperwork today saying "Applied needed ECO updates to correct out of band interference" from Lectrosonics.  

I tested it out today by comparing it to my 411A's in block 20.  I do not have any SRb's so I do not have any comparison of the previous generation to go on.  I set up three transmitters all crowded in the front of the block 20 range without interference and then added a transmitter to the bag at the end of the block 20 range to mimic a hop.  Unlike before the SRc fix, I never got any extra interference from adding transmitters or turning on the SRc, and the SRc was able to find open channels without a problem.  I then did a walk test and the range on my 411a's and the SRc was identical.  I couldn't hear any difference in the sound or output from the 411A or the SRc.  The 411A's tended to pick up a bit of static or noise right before dropping out whereas the SRc just held on with slight losses in sound quality until dropping out completely.  I didn't find any difference in range switching between "div" or "ratio" mode.  

The smart scan and sync mode is nice if you just need two quick channels and have the newer wideband transmitter.  It takes about five button presses and the SRc will find an open channel for the first transmitter, sync over IR, and then repeat for the second transmitter.  I believe everything else is the same as the SRb.

I was thinking of changing out some of my 411's for SRC's and was curious if the tracking on the front end worked in both Switched and Ratio diversity modes the same way? In two channel mode is there a tracking filter for receiver 1 and a separate tracking filter for receiver 2? Also, if you have a wideband receiver that covers three blocks and have two transmitters going at either end of those three blocks does the receiver not suffer from antennas that aren't trimmed to, for example, block 21 or 23 (if you use the B1 range of receiver)?

millar,

Yes, the tracking filters in the SRc work independently on each channel, and thus will work in both Ratio mode and Switched mode, even if in Switched mode, your two frequencies are at opposite ends of the band.

Regarding the antennas, there is some minor loss of sensitivity at the extremes of the band, if you have an antenna cut to the proper length for the center of the band. However, in the field this is unlikely to be noticed via performance. Receiver whip antennas are a very broad "filter" with perhaps 2-3 dB loss at the extremes.