request from China about my domain??

just got the following email today and suspect it to be fishy. Could you guys have a look and say what you think about it?

There is no company called "CeriiTog Company" I could find.

thanks, Matthias

Dear Sir/Madam,

About the "schallrichter". We are the department of Asian Domain Registration Service in China. Here I have something to confirm with you. We formally received an application on March 8th, 2016 that a  company claimed "CeriiTog Company" were applying to register "schallrichter" as their Net Brand and some "schallrichter" Asian countries top-level domain names through our firm.

Now we are handling this registration, and after our initial checking, we found the name were similar to your company's, so we need to check with you whether your company has authorized that  company to register these names. Since now the cyber-squatting events and domain name abuse are very serious, in order to avoid such incidents cause unnecessary loss of benefits to your company. So  we need to check with you whether your company has authorized that company to register these names. If you authorized this, we would finish the registration at once. If you did not authorize,  please let us know within 7 workdays, so that we could handle this issue better. After the deadline we will unconditionally finish the registration for "CeriiTog Company" Looking forward to your  prompt reply.

(It's very urgent, so please transfer this email to your CEO or appropriate person. Thanks a lot.)  

Best Regards,

Bart Wong

Senior Adviser Manager

Matthias.

I get one of these every other year, just got the latest one.

"The department of Asian Domain Registration Service in China" is usually a legitimate seller of domain names.

The aim is really to make you panic and buy the various domain names - (.cn/.com.cn/.net.cn/.org.cn)

They also threaten to register keywords_ I don't think they can actually do that (LOL)

Little bit of bullshit really.

Best, Rob

The email above was written to appear professional, official and legit.  In reality, real offers appear anything but.  They'll look more like this: "how much you to sell domain. yao tzi"  No social engineering there.  I deleted about 2 dozen like that over the course of a year until I finally got a phone call from a broker in Chicago representing a buyer who flips the names and resells to China, passing the money through an Escrow company.  Broker?  Flipping?  Escrow?  Yeah, I was surprised, too.  But she explained that my 3-digit numeric domain... what they call an NNN, as opposed to an alphabetic LLL or an NNLL or whatever... was worth a lot of money in China.  All I can say is if you have an NNN... or even better, an NN... contact me and I'll make you rich.  Seriously.

As I said, I did too until I found out what was going on.  You just need to know whether the domain you have has real value.  With numeric domains, the online articles that talk about which numbers are valued higher and lower in the Chinese market are no longer entirely true.  It's gotten to the point that ANY numeric domain has huge value, regardless of the numbers.  Speculators are buying them, hiding cash from the government, and then flipping for very big profit.  It's insane but it's real.

FWIW, I sold my "dplay.com" and variations about a year ago... to a British broker who wouldn't say who the buyer was. So I moved slowly and checked each step. (They were legit and I got a decent amount, along with some other concessions like forwarding and a prominent cross-link. Also, it wasn't hard to figure out that the ultimate buyer was Discovery Networks.)