Sanken CS3e sound differences

Mobilemike

Hey all, 

My main shotgun mic for about 4 years has been a trusty Sanken CS3 with the mod to make it a CS3e. Recently I needed another shotgun, so I picked up a second, new Sanken CS3e. 

I put them up together just for kicks and there is a small but definitely noticeable sound difference between the two. It's subtle but definitely there. The newer one is a little warmer sounding, with a bit more bottom end; the older one is a bit brighter. Interestingly, if I swap the foam windscreens between the two mics I can get them to match quite a bit better. If I put a thicker (cheaper) windscreen on the old one, and a nicer, more open-cell windscreen on the new one, the sound difference is practically negligible. 

I know this is a subtle thing, and probably a silly question. I also know that I can send the old back to Sanken for a checkup, but I wanted to ask you guys first as quite a few of you probably have experience with these mics, to see if the sound differences are normal or if they are something I should get looked at. 

Thanks!

-Mike

Haha thanks guys! I probably do need a drink... and a nap... but if we can't nerd out about microphones then how else are we going to have fun?

4 hours ago, Constantin said:

What are they like without any foam?

Without foam they are as described above - the older one is thinner and brighter; the new one is warmer and has a bit more bottom. I've attached sound samples here. Both mics were aligned with capsules as physically close as possible, each going into a channel of a Millennia HV3c preamp into Pro Tools. The new mic had about 3db more gain than the old mic, so I digitally matched the gain in Pro Tools between the two mics.

-Mike

Sanken CS3e old.wav

Sanken CS3e new.wav

A few manufacturers do make small changes to microphones throughout their production. It's quite likely that during the time between your first and second CS3,  Sanken decided to give it a slightly flatter response. 

That could surely be, but I'd hope Sanken would document such a change, especially to a piece of professional kit.

Maybe the older element aged or got contaminated and less responsive? 

Mike, the difference is interesting. Maybe contact Plus24, the US distributor (IIRC), give them the serial numbers, ask them what's up?

If they don't know off the top of their head, the might be able to get the straight scoop from Sanken.

http://plus24.net