This will probably end up being a problem...for someone

Ty Ford

The special (green) slot in the metal chassis Audio Ltd. Digital Wireless 1010 transmitter is a micro SD slot. Outside of the USA, this slot will be used to accept an SD card and the card will record audio. The slot will also be used to update firmware. A USA patent will prevent this slot from being used to record audio in the USA. The slot will only be available to update firmware. If you decide to buy an Audio Ltd. 1010 from another country and use it here, the owner of the patent can challenge you. I'm not sure how that works. I think, at some point, the patent will be challenged. How will it play out? I don't know.

AudioLtd1010.JPG

There is no point.  Someone is prob already doing this, but a whole lot of folks never will.  Some people are still using wireless mics in non-currently-USA-legal freqs.   Some people are importing modded Tascam DR10s from overseas and (gasp!) hooking them up to wireless TX.  In the old days a few folks had grey-market DAT machines rolling in the USA before there was a legal importer.  But the number of people doing these was and will always be too small for anyone to bother with it.  

My friend Phil is right. We know the FCC doesn't have enough people to police the spectrum.

As a result of the patent, is using the recording version in the USA a problem or is buying the recording version in the USA a problem?

If a sound recordist from the UK comes to the USA with a recording version of the 1010, will there be someone at the port of entry to apprehend the offending person? I'm not a lawyer, but I doubt it. Again, where are the teeth in patent law?

The 1010 does not generate timecode and does not transmit timecode. Glenn's Zaxcom device does. Does this difference in design negate the basis for a patent violation? I don't know. What do you think? I'm sure Glenn will provide some clarity.

there's a long thread about this already. the point is, some people may find it right and some wrong, but for the time being Audio Ltd (and Tascam and Sonosax) decided the risk of being sued is too high and it's not worth the hassle to go to court over it, for whatever reason.

edit:
actually there are two threads:

http://jwsoundgroup.net/index.php?/topic/25864-patents-innovation-and-the-law/&page=1

http://jwsoundgroup.net/index.php?/topic/23273-invention-innovation-and-patent-law/

Edited by chrismedr
added links