Rycote ORTF in Windshield AD?

noe

Greetings fellow sound-lovers,

I am used to recording ORTF with 2x oktavas on a stereo bar using bbgs as wind protection. It is ok and I managed to have a system that is not incredibly frustrating in terms of set-up time.

However, I feel it is time to upgrade and I am leaning towards the sennheiser MKH 8040s using one of the more recent ORTF kits from Rycote. I realize rycote sells a great looking kit – Stereo Windshield WS AE ORTF KIT (MZL)– using the ORTF suspension, connbox with cabling for the 8000 series… but this system is 350mm long including the  end caps.

This is great but I am trying to fit it in my backpack and I would really appreciate cutting 5cm in length, so I was wondering if any of you has tried to modify a Stereo Windshield WS AD MS basket to use it to wrap an ORTF suspension.

The diameter of the baskets is exactly the same (140mm) but the length is 300mm so I would assume it won't fit directly without any mods... would I need to simply scrape off some plastic in the slit that slides into the rubber of the suspension?

Has anyone tried this?

Alternatively I guess I can throw in some more $$ and go for a Cinela AL-ORTF-8000. Any thoughts on that? 

Thanks a lot in advance.

Cinela systems are great, but I have yet to confirm their wind performance to be better than that of a Rycote. They seem to be pretty equal. Swapping a mic in a Cinela can be a bit fiddly, though.

If buying new is an option for you, I would try the DIY approach first, if only for learning and the fun of it. Should you wreck the basket in the process you can then buy a new one or if you're successfull you'll have a custom setup and a sense of accomplishment.

I can't help you with the actual DIY part, though