Dwindling RF space

tsmyles

Now, I do not know if this will be an option for our type of work in the future, but here is something that a varation ( like the new zaxcom recorder thing) might be used on a "boom mic"  ?????????????????????

Coleman

http://www.hhb.co.uk/hhb/usa/hhbproducts/flashmic/index.asp

HHB FlashMic DRM85 Digital Recording Microphone

The HHB FlashMic is the world’s first professional digital recording microphone. Combining a high-quality, Sennheiser omni-directional condenser capsule with an inbuilt, broadcast-quality Flash recorder, FlashMic is a convenient, easy to operate and durable recorder that’s perfect for press and broadcast journalism, or any other voice recording application.

With no messy cables, just one button press is all it takes to start recording in either linear or MPEG 2 formats. Simple ‘drag and drop’ file transfer at up to 90x real time to a Mac or PC for editing or onward transmission is enabled by a ‘plug and play’ USB connection. Two AA batteries provide more than 8 hours continuous power and, with a 0 - 10 seconds pre-record buffer and 1GB of flash memory, you can be sure that you’ll never miss a word of that important interview with a FlashMic.

Now, I do not know if this will be an option for our type of work in the future, but here is something that a varation ( like the new zaxcom recorder thing) might be used on a "boom mic"  ?????????????????????

Coleman

http://www.hhb.co.uk/hhb/usa/hhbproducts/flashmic/index.asp

HHB FlashMic DRM85 Digital Recording Microphone

The HHB FlashMic is the world’s first professional digital recording microphone. Combining a high-quality, Sennheiser omni-directional condenser capsule with an inbuilt, broadcast-quality Flash recorder, FlashMic is a convenient, easy to operate and durable recorder that’s perfect for press and broadcast journalism, or any other voice recording application.

With no messy cables, just one button press is all it takes to start recording in either linear or MPEG 2 formats. Simple ‘drag and drop’ file transfer at up to 90x real time to a Mac or PC for editing or onward transmission is enabled by a ‘plug and play’ USB connection. Two AA batteries provide more than 8 hours continuous power and, with a 0 - 10 seconds pre-record buffer and 1GB of flash memory, you can be sure that you’ll never miss a word of that important interview with a FlashMic.

The FlashMic, at least in this present incarnation, is unsuitable for production sound usage as a boom.  I was considering it for use as a VO mic so I wouldn't have to carry around my Rode, and HD-P2 but when I looked at the specs I decided against it.

The capsule is an omni and when I called HHB and asked why on earth they'd use an omni capsule in the thing they said that it was for ease of use by reporters, etc.

As a boom mic, you'd get the same result by hanging a Countryman lav on a stick (that'd be even lighter and smaller and certainly cheaper).

The other problem with it is that you have to set the gain ahead of time (well.... kind of like a wireless xmtr, as I think of it).  And I think it's probably heavier than a good old reliable 415 or 416.

Another example of a good, but limited, idea not being wisely implemented.

Hi!!

No, I meant that a mic that we use already, ( what ever kind, schopes / sennhiser......) but if it had the recording function built in, not to use the hhb mic,  ha ha

Coleman

PS, send me some photos of the "island" Tony, and have Fun!

Hi!!

No, I meant that a mic that we use already, ( what ever kind, schopes / sennhiser......) but if it had the recording function built in, not to use the hhb mic,   ha ha

Coleman

PS, send me some photos of the "island" Tony, and have Fun!

I still like the idea of gold paint on the inside of the talents' mouths changing capacity as they talk. We could just aim an infared laser at the set and pick up all their capacitative changes. Next we'd have to feed this info into a computer (Mac, of course) which would calculate the capacity changes and reconstruct the dialogue based on the voice models we have stored. Think of it like a motion capture system for sound.

And since we're not actually recording on set "live" audio there would be no background noise, no clothes rustle, no DP whine about boom shadow (that they cause).......

.......excuse me.  I have to go call the Patent office.

I'll bring you back some wild cow (not mad cow) or "feral pig surprise".

Tony

tsmyles wrote:

As a boom mic, you'd get the same result by hanging a Countryman lav on a stick

You mean like this? Improvised by the two young PD150 operators who had realized that the 45+ year old DOP and audio guy (me), who were ostensibly going to shoot interviews with the talent who had just completed a race to the summit of the 3,200 ft Sunblood Mountain , were not going to reach the peak after a 5 mile hike througn dense bush and up 50 degree slopes while carrying our gear. We had wired the talent with lipstick cams and lavs feeding mini DV cams in their backpacks to capture POV shots and audio during their ascent. They taped the lavs to a stick, ran one to each camera and did two camera interviews. Amazing what will work when the nearest manmade noise source is 400 miles away.

post-69-13081507288_thumb.jpg

post-69-130815072885_thumb.jpg

They taped the lavs to a stick, ran one to each camera and did two camera interviews. Amazing what will work when the nearest manmade noise source is 400 miles away.

That's a great picture. Maybe this thing could be marketed as an "Earth friendly" alternative to your basic fishpole. Looks cool (and evidently got the job done too!).

-  JW