Lectrosonics SRc Receiver Announced

karlw

• 7 months later...

From Location Sound Corp Facebook page

Lectrosonics just announced their new SR-AES3 Audio Output Adapter, a new endplate which gives ALL SR receivers AES digital output capabilities. Fitted with a word clock port, it can be run as analog, AES digital with internal word clock (no external connection) or as AES with external word clock. Now, any SR series receiver will be capable of delivering 2-channel digital audio direct to the mixer or recorder eliminating the gain staging questions of "what should my output level be?" and "what should my input gain on my camera/mixer be?"

15192720_10154321226513152_8587127148300

15284183_10154321226613152_8080833814127

15170829_10154321226778152_1549888739691

More informations & price (from Location Sound Corp)
http://www.locationsound.com/lectrosonics-sr-aes3-audio-output-adapter-3827

An update on the SRAES3 digital output plate:

The question came up on the Facebook "Freelance Sound Mixers & Recordists for TV/Film" group:

"If you're inputting a few of these [SRc with SRAES3] into a recorder with sample rate converting inputs then syncing them all with wordclock is unnecessary, correct?"

In talking with our engineering department, we all agreed that "there is no reason we can think of that it won't work". That's great in theory, but what about a test?

So we set up some tests by using two SR receivers, each with the SRAES3 output plates, feeding a 688 via the AES3 inputs. We did not use a word clock master. Each SR was fed by two transmitters, for a total of four channels. First, we tied all four lav mics together with a rubber band so that we would have basically a mono signal going into the four RF channels, thus into the two SRs, two SRAE3 plates, and into two dual AES3 inputs on the recorder.

From there, we mixed those four tracks back to to mono (actually we mixed each of those tracks both to the L and R tracks of a stereo file). The results were fine - no phasing, no issues at all. We also then separated the mics & transmitters around the office, and recorded ambience, i.e. room tone. No issues at all.

If you're interested, here's a link to the first test file:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s3d2wn4cnyxalwh/T08.WAV?dl=0

On 3 Dec 2016 at 8:37 AM, VAS said:

Can you make it "public" the file? I had to sign in to Dropbox to listen the file. Maybe someone has not have a Dropbox account.

I could download without logging into dropbox, just ignore the sign in screen and then click on the download button top right.

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

Hello everyone

I'm thinking of buying a SRC with the AES3-plate (used with 788t) and I'm wondering if the signal is digital from the transmitter to the stored wav? I know it's sent analog over air(digital hybrid) but this is just packed digital info, no?

I can't find an answer to this by googling.

Thanks 

Per Hansen

2 hours ago, pren said:

Per asked - 

I'm thinking of buying a SRC with the AES3-plate (used with 788t) and I'm wondering if the signal is digital from the transmitter to the stored wav? I know it's sent analog over air(digital hybrid) but this is just packed digital info, no?

Without diving into the gritty details - the transmitted signal is an error in a predictor algorithm that has been put back int he analog realm, then converted back into digital again upon pickup by the receiver. This error data  is then added to the predictor digital signal in the receiver and then converted into analog audio - the AES endplate is converting the resultant analog signal back into the digital realm.   It's complicated but the end result is AES3. 

Gordon

3 hours ago, Gordonmoore1 said:

Without diving into the gritty details - the transmitted signal is an error in a predictor algorithm that has been put back int he analog realm, then converted back into digital again upon pickup by the receiver. This error data  is then added to the predictor digital signal in the receiver and then converted into analog audio - the AES endplate is converting the resultant analog signal back into the digital realm.   It's complicated but the end result is AES3. 

Gordon

But just to add, if I may, the signal you hear will still feel like an analog transmission in that you can hear rf hiss and other rf by-products, unlike in fully digital systems, where you don't get those (or you do get them, but in a different way). If you don't work in rf hell, it won't be all that noticeable 

• 3 months later...

Here's the current status - we have some new RF board designs in beta test in the field right now - if these tests go as well as expected, we will begin building production quantities of boards and take care of anyone having issues (regardless of purchase date) with a complete board swap - 

This has been elusive - as Dafydd Cooksey pointed out - lots of guys have had no problems with their units - it's been a small percentage with problems- but  persistent enough (like Dayfdds unit) that we have been making changes in the design. Especially perplexing because we can't duplicate the problems here in New Mexico. We are very close now and hoping these new boards resolve your issues. Don't sweat the serial numbers or purchase dates. Once we confirm this board revision, we will take care of you.

It will still be a bit - we have to begin building the boards from scratch and put them through QC first - and we are still waiting on the beta field reports - the first ones in are very encouraging but not enough data yet to pull the trigger on full blown production.  

Here's a post from Gordon on the Lectro facebook page. Might explain a lot of weird things with the SRc. Since the scanned frequencies can be off by 9.2 MHz, a "good" frequency could be off by 9.2 MHz.  Setting the receiver to the "good" frequencies could actually (probably) put you in the middle of major interference.  The post:

<Doug Pearson for the win! Doug recently posted pictures showing a discrepancy in the scans between a block 19 SRB and an SRC -A1. After several days of trying to duplicate the problem we finally found it (and are kicking ourselves for not catching this sooner). This answers the problems you ALL have been having with getting interference on "good frequencies" as shown on the scan of the SRC-A1. 

There is a bug in the firmware that runs the scan. It was improperly indexing the channel selection in the scan and the hexadecimal value for the frequency was off by 9.2MHz! That's why Dougs pictures showed clear at EE on his SRB and messy on his SRC. The receiver was working fine, the scan firmware was not. This also skews the values the SmartScan by 9.2MHz. (not so smart, huh!) 

So, while we will continue with beta testing the SRC new rev boards for their improvements - there ARE improvements there - we have FINALLY found the smoking gun for the majority of weirdnesses the SRC has shown. 

This will require a firmware update for ALL SRC-A1's . We are investigating the B1 and C1 as well to make sure there isn't a similar offset problem.>