Thinking about buying a used Lectro 211 system...

Chas Gordon

I can't really afford a new 411 system right now so I was thinking about a used 211 system. Is this wasted money? Were the 211 systems all that bad? I know the 211 is not a hybrid system like the 411, but did it have any huge failings, I have little experience with them. I own one 411 system and I love it, but will I be disapointed with the 211 after using the 411?

Any feedback on the 211's would be helpful.

Chas,

Why not run your 411 system in 200 mode and see if you like it or able to accept it? I'm OK with my 200 series. In terms of audio performance 411 will of course be better.

If budget is a concern, 200 series on the lav and 400 series on the wireless boom, thats my vote.

Alan

I can't really afford a new 411 system right now so I was thinking about a used 211 system. Is this wasted money? Were the 211 systems all that bad? I know the 211 is not a hybrid system like the 411, but did it have any huge failings, I have little experience with them. I own one 411 system and I love it, but will I be disapointed with the 211 after using the 411?

Any feedback on the 211's would be helpful.

Chas,

its always a good idea to have the same model & manufactorer of the current system you have.

I have (4) 211 systems with 250c tx and (3) 201 systems. There is nothing wrong with any of these systems they sound good and work well. I think IMHO that the 211 250c combo is great I get 3.5-4hours of battery life out of my tx's with my Ipower batteries while getting a high powered tx. the 200 tx are also lighter than um400 tx. Since I do mostly Reality tv work and news stuff I will never hear the difference in noise floor between the two systems. However I do plan to upgrade at some point in the future I think I am going to wait to Late 2009 after the DTV switch though. The checks keep clearing and that all that matters :)

Chas, there is nothing wrong with 211's. I had mine for 6 years and they had some early design issues that were promptly taken care of by Larry Fisher at Lectro.  Other than that they were rock solid systems. Depending of the condition & age of the system(s) It may be a good idea to have them checked out by Lectro. 

I have (4) 211 systems with 250c tx and (3) 201 systems. There is nothing wrong with any of these systems they sound good and work well. I think IMHO that the 211 250c combo is great I get 3.5-4hours of battery life out of my tx's with my Ipower batteries while getting a high powered tx. the 200 tx are also lighter than um400 tx. Since I do mostly Reality tv work and news stuff I will never hear the difference in noise floor between the two systems. However I do plan to upgrade at some point in the future I think I am going to wait to Late 2009 after the DTV switch though. The checks keep clearing and that all that matters :)

just wondering, do you use the 201's as "camera hops"? and the UCR 211's for talent.

Hey all, thanks for the info. My situation is simular to Whitney's. I mostly do the reality/home TV shows as well as some news and sports shows where I send audio to the camera. (I'm writing this sitting in a hotel room in Billings Montana working on a couple of stories for Inside the NFL on Showtime.)

My current bag is a SD 442, three Lectro systems and the boom. The Lectros are 1 x 411, 1 x 201 and 1 x 205. Then I have a couple of 190 systems and a 195 system. I also have 1 x Senn. G2 500 that I use as a producer listen-in or as a way backup 7th system. They all work great for what they are, but I would love to consolidate it somewhat. It's like a museum of  really old Lectrosonics wireless systems. All I need to complete the line-up are a 187 and a 185 VHF! ;)

I was just looking at the 211 systems and thinking that might be a good alternative to spending a lot more money right now on a couple 411's. I don't know, banging it around still and was just wondering out loud.

Hey all, thanks for the info. My situation is simular to Whitney's. I mostly do the reality/home TV shows as well as some news and sports shows where I send audio to the camera. (I'm writing this sitting in a hotel room in Billings Montana working on a couple of stories for Inside the NFL on Showtime.)

My current bag is a SD 442, three Lectro systems and the boom. The Lectros are 1 x 411, 1 x 201 and 1 x 205. Then I have a couple of 190 systems and a 195 system. I also have 1 x Senn. G2 500 that I use as a producer listen-in or as a way backup 7th system. They all work great for what they are, but I would love to consolidate it somewhat. It's like a museum of  really old Lectrosonics wireless systems. All I need to complete the line-up are a 187 and a 185 VHF! ;)

I was just looking at the 211 systems and thinking that might be a good alternative to spending a lot more money right now on a couple 411's. I don't know, banging it around still and was just wondering out loud.

Well--I have ALL of those, incl the 185!  They all still work too, which is why it always seems possible to sell anything Lectro, no matter how old.

211s are very good wirelesses--the last and best of the analog Lectros.  They have the "modern" scan/display/battery monitor features, used far less power than 205s and sound great.  I don't feel like my 411 has any real advantage in range over the 211, but there is no question that it is quieter.  Depending on the sort of work you normally do, the higher noise floor of the 211 might not be noticeable for you at all.

Philip Perkins

I have mixed my 411 system with the older systems in the past and yes, the 411 is much quieter. If I have the 411 on one person and let's say the 205 on another person I remove all noise reduction on the 411 to help it sound more like the older mic system. I hate doing it, but consistency is a little more important in that case, especially if the two mics are used in the same scene back to back.

Thanks for the help guys! I'll look in to the post on RAMPS and probably buy one or two of the older systems. Not in block 27, 28 or 29 of course...