Recording a long jogging uninterrupted take without a car?

AndyZou

Hello experts!  I'm writing/producing a short that will feature a single uninterrupted take of up to three actors jogging.  They will be running the entire time for about 10 minutes.  It's obviously dependent on location, but having someone boom out of a car may not be a possibility; I'm considering certain parks or perhaps a beach boardwalk or other similarly long stretch of location.  I'm not a sound operator myself, but as a producer, I'm wondering what solutions I can acquire.  Would a car be audible anyway?  Would I have to get a quieter electric vehicle?  Segways?  Are there bike platforms that a well-balanced sound engineer could be strapped into?  Any wild ideas are welcome.  Camera will likely be out of the back of a pedicab or a car if permissible.

Yes. They're bound to have a Grip Trix or equivalent vehicle available in NYC. Cars will be an issue, as will running a Grip Trix on a public road without police, etc. You'll need proper permits, etc. If you do end up on some sort of bicycle thing in a park, please be careful!!  Also, make sure you hire a proper sound person with real radio miking skills and rigs to make things sound good. Jogging scenes are tough, and only someone with experience is going to get you results that will work. An experienced mixer can also help you figure out a good way to do the shot, probably having done similar stuff before.

Grip Trix (electric cart) is the best way to go for camera, similar setup for your sound mixer (a second electric cart that precedes the GripTrix), proper lav mic placement is essential, not always the easiest to do on joggers. Zaxcom recording wireless could be helpful if you are unable to stay in range from the sound mixer's cart to the talent. I have done this sort of thing many times, usually with really good results. Certainly heed the comments from those that talk about control over your shooting environment, safety, traffic control, securing the path you will shooting on, etc. This kind of shooting is not something you can just "steal" in a real environment without proper control.

+1 to all of the above!

And, while I am sure, that - Others can provide better examples of long-form format?

Andy, I'm providing this here    (Even though it's just a :30 spot?)

(Because, for me ... it's an easily-accessed example of what is possible ... based loosely on your OP.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yf5rTE_JCZk   (Sorry, the 'embed' function, on the YT page, is dismantled.)

I asked (during pre-pro) for the sweatband (to hide his lav.)

I also reminded the director, in his headset, that (towards the end of the very long day) - 

The actors would sometimes tend to 'plod' their feet. (He handled the act of 'admonishing' deftly.)

I also especially appreciated the director's enthusiastic response to my asking ... (Again ... at the end of a very long day!)

To spending some time in getting the crowd's 'walla'? (Though, Andy - your project ... Will probably have different needs?)

We then made several passes - sans camera.

Here are some photos for context:

IMG_20150903_095833.jpg

IMG_4253.jpg

IMG_4257.jpg

Thank you, New Mexico, for your summary! Very interesting und very good work!!

Did a 2 person jogging interview recently, also with golf carts. Altough I had checked frequencys twice, used active antennas and did a test, I had minor issues with my wireless. I guess it was the two wireless video links for the two focus pullers and the two wireless focuses (Steadycam and Movi, both focus pullers sat in a second golf cart).

It was a show where visible lavs were ok, so there was no problem. I glued the runner's zippers with Joe's Sticky Stuff to avoid clothing noise.

• 2 weeks later...