Lectrosonics LT vs SMQV

Jaymz

The LT's are much less water resistant than the SMQV. In fact, I've sweat out an LT probably due to the switch on top. They are noticeably larger than the SMQV, but I find them better for quick set-up interviews and for sending hops to camera. I do find myself reaching for SSM's quite a bit more recently due to the fact that they are water resistant and light enough to put anywhere on a person.

• 1 month later...
I have four LT/LRs.  I really like them!  I usually run them at 50mw and don't have any range issues.  I'm running through a PSC sm multi with two homemade coaxial dipoles that I clip to my harness.  I love the infrared syncing and the menus are super easy to navigate.  I went from four 211s to for LRs in my bag and saved a lot of weight!  

Bernie or others how do you use your LR receivers in your bag, do you set them up where you can see the LCD screen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

On 7/16/2017 at 1:03 PM, FrankH said:

Bernie or others how do you use your LR receivers in your bag, do you set them up where you can see the LCD screen.

I have them clipped to a plastic rail that I attached to my Orca 32 with velcro and zip ties.  They're oriented vertically so I have to tilt the bag to see the screens.  I have the battery eliminators on them so I have no need to remove them for battery changes.  There's lots of space between the receivers and the compartment the Nomad is in in so I can get my hands on the on/off switch and menus.  Not ideal but I mostly just need to turn the power on the rxs so its workable.  I'll post a photo later so you can see what I've done. 

I have them clipped to a plastic rail that I attached to my Orca 32 with velcro and zip ties.  They're oriented vertically so I have to tilt the bag to see the screens.  I have the battery eliminators on them so I have no need to remove them for battery changes.  There's lots of space between the receivers and the compartment the Nomad is in in so I can get my hands on the on/off switch and menus.  Not ideal but I mostly just need to turn the power on the rxs so its workable.  I'll post a photo later so you can see what I've done. 

Thanks Bernie, look forward to seeing the pic of your set up.

14 hours ago, berniebeaudry said:

Here's my bag set up.  I've since gone from homemade coaxial dipoles for antennas to Lectro SNA dipoles.  The antennas are going into a PSC Multi SMA and the low profile TA3s are from Audio Department.

Bernie's Bag.jpg

Very nice and clean.  Any particular reason why you eschewed two SRc's for the LR receivers?

That is a nice looking set-up.

I am currently working with a mostly LT's, LR's, SRC's, and SSM's. I have sold off my older generation of the Lectrosonics. The great part about the new generation is the IR sync. The SRC's I use in my bag and the LR's I use as hops unless I need a couple extra channels in the bag. The LR's are the most versatile receiver due to the menu system and the IR sync and the size, but they are really designed to be used as a camera feed. I tried using them in a bag for awhile, but it is hard to get to the IR port and menu. That bag set-up is nice but the SRC is a better solution based on my experience, especially when used with the Sound Devices SL-6.

On July 20, 2017 at 9:21 PM, codyman said:

Very nice and clean.  Any particular reason why you eschewed two SRc's for the LR receivers?

Thank you!  I bought the LTs and LRs when they first became available.  The SRCs weren't even introduced until over a year or more later.  I probably would have gone with them if they were available.  

On July 20, 2017 at 10:45 PM, Casey Preston said:

That is a nice looking set-up.

I am currently working with a mostly LT's, LR's, SRC's, and SSM's. I have sold off my older generation of the Lectrosonics. The great part about the new generation is the IR sync. The SRC's I use in my bag and the LR's I use as hops unless I need a couple extra channels in the bag. The LR's are the most versatile receiver due to the menu system and the IR sync and the size, but they are really designed to be used as a camera feed. I tried using them in a bag for awhile, but it is hard to get to the IR port and menu. That bag set-up is nice but the SRC is a better solution based on my experience, especially when used with the Sound Devices SL-6.

I don't have too much trouble using the IR sync or using the menus.  The SRs weren't available or even introduced when I bought these.  I was a fairly early adaptor of the LT/LRs.  I just wanted something new, smaller, and lighter for my bag.  I had all 211s that I wanted to move while they still had good value.

I've finally got 1 SRc A-band and 1 SSM (amazing transmiter), my only concern is the 50mW of the SSM and for that reason I'm testing the SMQV and SMV transmiters in a feature film, I have to admit I much prefer the SSM in all aspects, except that it has no option for more mW...

I'll probably get another SSM since range is not a problem for the work I do.

How much can I improve the range of my SSM using better antenas?

9 hours ago, manuelchk said:

I've finally got 1 SRc A-band and 1 SSM (amazing transmiter), my only concern is the 50mW of the SSM and for that reason I'm testing the SMQV and SMV transmiters in a feature film, I have to admit I much prefer the SSM in all aspects, except that it has no option for more mW...

I'll probably get another SSM since range is not a problem for the work I do.

How much can I improve the range of my SSM using better antenas?

With better gain setting, not attaching the body etc...
Last, more auxiliary output power (mW).