Zaxcom and AudioLTD digital wireless - the future

RadoStefanov

"well, seems to me that they are struggling with 48/24 with 1ms latency - if it was easy to implement they would be offering such a product, no? if it's needed or not is another question and people might disagree on their personal needs and preferences."

No, they didn't struggle --- it became obvious that there were technical considerations and trade-offs to achieve 48/24 with 1ms latency (and possibly not even doable) and developed a system that has performed beautifully with lower sampling rate and higher latency.

"but i'm pretty sure if (or rather when) zaxcom brings out a system with 1ms latency or 48/24 sampling they will label it clearly so and announce it as an improvement."

Of course --- Zaxcom has not given up refining and improving their range of wireless (witness the recent introduction of the ZHD model) and if at such time (after much "struggle") the sample rate can be increased and the latency reduced, it will be an improvement (and will, of course, be so advertised). Because it will represent an improvement, if it ever happens, does not mean the current units (from Zaxcom or Audiuo, Ltd.) are flawed.

"if i had 4000-5000USD per channel i agree todays solutions are perfectly fine"  --- I don't think there is anything from Zaxcom that is "4000 to 5000 USD", not sure what the final pricing is on Audio, Ltd.

1 hour ago, Jeff Wexler said:

"if i had 4000-5000USD per channel i agree todays solutions are perfectly fine"  --- I don't think there is anything from Zaxcom that is "4000 to 5000 USD", not sure what the final pricing is on Audio, Ltd.

think the UK list price is around £2800, which is about $4000.

yipes.

35 minutes ago, John Blankenship said:

The current price for 2 channels of Zaxcom wireless is $6,000 (one QRX200 @$2500 and two TRXLA2 @ $1750/each -- and a total of $400 less if you choose the single battery transmitters) -- which equates to $2,800 to $3,000 per channel. 

yeah, you're kinda lucky on the other side of the pond with both lectro and zax. try to get that price in europe : (

"when for most of us the issue of latency and/or sample rate with digital wireless is essentially a non-issue.

Sorry to be nit-picking here for just a moment, but latency and sample rate are an issue, and they are important specs to keep an eye on, just not with the currently discussed number. But if it were a sampling rate of 8kHz and a latency of 600 ms, it would be terrible, so it's fine I think, to occasionally discuss it and remember that these are important numbers

yeah, you're kinda lucky on the other side of the pond with both lectro and zax. try to get that price in europe : (

Well, you can always buy second hand, but to be honest, with the rate the FCC is auctioning off spectrum over there, I'm quite glad I am where I am. I can still and for quite a few years to come use more or less everything from 470 - 790MHz. If that means I have to pay a bit more, fine. Besides, I have bought a great deal of wireless gear on the used market

The situation in Europe is different for many reasons:

We're less technologically advanced in general so our spectrum is not so crowded.

American products in the UK (for example) are the same numbers in GBP as they are in USD. Ie. 3000 USD cost c. 3000GBP (which is 4300USD). Prices on zaxcom RM kit in the UK are now a lot closer to US prices than they used to be.

There are only a few rental houses (1 in the UK) carrying Zaxcom so you'd need greater redundancy in your inventory.

14 hours ago, John Blankenship said:

The current price for 2 channels of Zaxcom wireless is $6,000 (one QRX200 @$2500 and two TRXLA2 @ $1750/each -- and a total of $400 less if you choose the single battery transmitters) -- which equates to $2,800 to $3,000 per channel.  Of course that doesn't include the mics.

Dare I say that IMHO that is a very competitive price for what you get. 

Constantin said: "Sorry to be nit-picking here for just a moment, but latency and sample rate are an issue, and they are important specs to keep an eye on, just not with the currently discussed number..."

Exactly, they are not irrelevant. In sampling rate the sweet spot/ point of diminishing returns is well known and manufacturers will keep working to get to those specs. Same with latency, under certain situations it matters a great deal in others it's irrelevant. 

Edited by Werner Althaus
incomplete post

15 hours ago, daniel said:

The situation in Europe is different for many reasons:

We're less technologically advanced in general so our spectrum is not so crowded.

American products in the UK (for example) are the same numbers in GBP as they are in USD. Ie. 3000 USD cost c. 3000GBP (which is 4300USD).

There are only a few rental houses (1 in the UK) carrying Zaxcom so you'd need greater redundancy in your inventory.

Hi Werner, if you are interested in Zaxcom products you should talk with your UK distributor and explain your point of view. In Italy we decided to be aligned to the Zaxcom US price list and add only a small 3% for shipment and duties. A TRXLA2 here cost € 1578,00 + VAT at the today rate exchange (=  1.244,3 GBP + VAT).

6 hours ago, Oscar Roje said:

In Italy we decided to be aligned to the Zaxcom US price list and add only a small 3% for shipment and duties.

that's great news. two questions on that:

- who is "we"? (i.e.. where in italy can i order one at that price?)
- and does the same apply on all other zaxcom products? (i.e. recorders etc)

thanks and bests

On 6 maggio 2016 at 0:26 AM, chrismedr said:

that's great news. two questions on that:

- who is "we"? (i.e.. where in italy can i order one at that price?)
- and does the same apply on all other zaxcom products? (i.e. recorders etc)

thanks and bests

Hello Chris,

- we is Tedes (www.tedes.it)

- yes, we apply US price list on all Zaxcom's products range

Best regards

On 05/05/2016 at 5:27 PM, RadoStefanov said:

None of this fixes the picture latency of a LED or LCD. If that was the case plasmas will be 7-8ms early from sound. HDMI does not know how much the TV lag is.

Yes it does, actually.  I can't recall the terminology but the latest HDMI specs allow you to route the picture from the television, through the AV receiver and back again.  The receiver then adds delay to the picture so that the two are correctly synced.  My television does it, unfortunately my AV receiver is too old.

/edit: found it:

http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_1_4/arc.aspx

and:

http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_2_0/index.aspx

9 hours ago, RadoStefanov said:

HDMI-CEC . I wonder how many people actually use it.

Fully realizing, that you are multi-lingual, Rado - And, that - English may not be your first language ...?

Since your post did not include a question mark  "?"- at the end of your sentence (as in reference to an actual query, on your part.)

I'm assuming*, that - This is more of a statement? Than an actual question ... ? ( *I could be wrong - Just a simple 'typo,' or 'spellcheck error,' perhaps?)

But ...

This further prompts me to posit my opinion, that - You, undoubtedly, might find the following information, below - 

To be subjacent to your (typical) peer review? ...

I believe the Tascam 701d could utilize the HDMI-CEC feature? (In the 'simplest' of terms)

(Though, Rado -  I must admit ... Since I do not actually own or operate the device in question -- Just, in the least, being somewhat familiar with some of it's specs, and features - I would say, that - Tom Duffy might have a 'final word' on that?)

I would obviously bow to your technical prowess when proving me wrong.

Yes, the TASCAM DR-701D is using CEC to see when the camera goes into record or stops, and the Timecode over HDMI is encased in there as well.  We're doing a lot of tweaks to get each of the popular cameras to be recognized seamlessly - and talking with the camera manufacturers when they need to tweak things on their side.

I use HDMI-CEC at home as well - when I turn off/on the TV, the AV receiver turns off/on as well, and it passes through volume up/down commands from the remote (which is pointing at the TV) to the AV receiver.  Sony of course calls it something else (Bravia Link), but it's all CEC on the wire.

9 hours ago, new mexico said:

Fully realizing, that you are multi-lingual, Rado - And, that - English may not be your first language ...?

Since your post did not include a question mark  "?"- at the end of your sentence (as in reference to an actual query, on your part.)

I'm assuming*, that - This is more of a statement? Than an actual question ... ? ( *I could be wrong - Just a simple 'typo,' or 'spellcheck error,' perhaps?)

But ...

This further prompts me to posit my opinion, that - You, undoubtedly, might find the following information, below - 

To be subjacent to your (typical) peer review? ...

I believe the Tascam 701d could utilize the HDMI-CEC feature? (In the 'simplest' of terms)

(Though, Rado -  I must admit ... Since I do not actually own or operate the device in question -- Just, in the least, being somewhat familiar with some of it's specs, and features - I would say, that - Tom Duffy might have a 'final word' on that?)

I would obviously bow to your technical prowess when proving me wrong.

Corrected... Thanks for pointing out that punctuation matters.

Very important.