lo/no budget ups/inverter for computer backups

sonic_reducer

Thought I'd share one of my projects during the christmas/new years break.

Bought an el cheap-o ups last year for some stuff at home (conext surge protector/battery backup). I think it cost me $35. It ran its course, I had it laying around, so I ripped out the battery and wired it with a 4 pin xlr to accept my 33 ah battery (the original battery was tiny 12v low ah). It still worked, so in an attempt to make it really not work, i cracked it open and used a set of pliers to pull the top contact off the buzzer. Voila! Still works, and (at least acoustically) pretty damn quiet. The only drawback is that I expect I'll have to put a trickle charger on whatever battery I use with it when its not in use.

I'll run some tests to see how electronically quiet it is when its powering a medium sized foh mixer, a sonosax, and a pd-6 on the battery. If anyone cares, i'll post the results tomorrow.

Hey. Its something to do to take the tedium out of soldering cables.

A

I know a company that has replacement batteries for pretty much every UPS on the market: PEI. They're pretty nice to deal with, are local for me (818-778-6189, out in the west San Fernando Valley just outside LA), and have a huge inventory.

Great place to buy uninterruptible power supplies and parts cheap.

--Marc W.