Mobile cart evolution

Wandering Ear

I've built a new mini cart for omb / eng jobs when working out of a bag.  So far only the frame is complete, I'm still waiting on some parts, accessories, etc, but it made it's debut on set today for a Comcast commercial, and it was the perfect combination of workability, size, and mobility.  I will have to redo the handles, they aren't quite tall enough so I kick the wheels at times, and the boom holders, antennas, working shelf, as well as foam cutout drawers for inside the pelican, are all in the works, but are not ready / have not arrived yet.  I'll post more photos next week when the next shipment arrives.

IMG_20160405_081504776.jpgIMG_20160405_081451283.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, The Immoral Mr Teas said:

Very unprofessional to have all that beer on your cart on set ...

Jez

That's just the follow cart, we were picking up our expendable order.

I forgot to post more pictures, I've got the top shelf in and have been playing around with handle configurations.  I'll take some more photos today.

Here are some more photos as the cart evolves.  Working out the details, but over the last couple weeks it's been a great platform to work from.  

I can lean the bag on the handle for standing work, ready to grab and wear if needed:

2016-04-21 15.12.38.jpg

Or I can lay it flat and sit down to mix.  

2016-04-21 15.12.59.jpg

Last night I mixed a script reading with 14 actors, and it made me wish I had a sliding shelf with my Mix8 mounted on it just underneath the top shelf, so that is the next major change.

I'm still working on the drawer system using custom foam inserts.  Here is the work in progress:

2016-04-21 15.13.32.jpg

2016-04-21 15.16.37.jpg

2016-04-21 15.13.49.jpg

2016-04-21 15.14.01.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 6/4/2016 at 5:45 PM, Abe Dolinger said:

Nice!  The sound person's lifelong dilemma: as it becomes more useful, it becomes heavier.  Looks like a really good balance though.

This is so true.  I have a much larger cart that I need for big shoots, but this cart is becoming my go to every day.  I can only do that if it stays small, light, and very mobile.  I built this cart to wear my bag less, and so far i've probably cut my bag wearing time down by at least 50%.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I'll try to remember to post more photos this week when I'm back from vacation.  I am currently using an iPad for video when working on this cart.  A single monitor on an arm would be a good option. I've also added an antenna mast, and a c-stand holder for doing interviews etc, a zaxnet amp, and a remote audio bds v4u.  The main idea being that I can carry everything I need for most days on this cart in a single trip.

Some updated photos.  I extended the front feet out, which makes it a lot more stable, especially since I work in dirt and on uneven terrain frequently.  The green bag is a waterproof bike pannier that quickly and easily pulls off.  It gets in the way of loading in the van a little bit, but in the winter it's really nice to have a place for all the weather protection, rain gear, tarps, gloves, winter clothes etc.  I have backpack straps for the bag too, so when I need a laptop or other personal items on set that I want to take home at the end of the day, I just grab the bag and go.  L-Com amp and BDS are mounted behind the bag, with a voltage meter under the handle.  The Ipad I use with Qtake as a monitor, and also for Sound Reports, playback, etc.

With this configuration, most days I can grab what I need from the van, load it on to this cart, and wheel on set with everything I'll need for the day's work in a single trip.  It's small enough that I can be on set or off, wherever I feel is best, and location moves are little effort.  I can also stand at the cart and boom op without wearing the bag as long as I don't have to take too many steps for the scene.

2016-12-29_09_17_50.jpg2016-12-29_09_18_33.jpg2016-12-29_09_20_27.jpg

2016-12-29_09_20_14.jpg

• 4 weeks later...