NAB rumor, speculation, and dreams thread

Shastapete

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, Solid Goldberger said:

The permeability of the Zaxcom screens to moisture (SWEAT) is the thing I like the least about zax gear.  I wish they would have addressed that on the TRX3 generation. 

E. 

yes, heard that from the peeps that were using zaxcom wireless for feature productions in Poland....i don't understand. Why don't compete stronger, and have a better product?

12 hours ago, RadoStefanov said:

never had problems with sweat and screens.

Maybe in hot Nevada climate it does not matter, but we have a lot of moisture in Europe, as I am sure you remember :)

2 hours ago, Constantin said:

Another dream: recorder that can load and run VST plug-ins (or other format), for EQ, compressor, delay, whatever... Mix track only, of course. Or maybe selectable to either mix only, headphones only, or both. Parameters get stored in metadata

I like the idea as far as separate track parameters for mix tracks (you can assign which are mix tracks, and have separate compression, eq, filters - hello Howard!) but VST - no thanks :) too many crashy plugins out there. 

4 hours ago, Constantin said:

Another dream: recorder that can load and run VST plug-ins (or other format), for EQ, compressor, delay, whatever... Mix track only, of course. Or maybe selectable to either mix only, headphones only, or both. Parameters get stored in metadata

Mix automation data is a dream of mine as well.

I'm also ready to see rotary encoders instead of potentiometers on my digital mixers. Easy to work in banks/pages without any mechanical recall necessary.

Would love to see more "meter bridge" type functionality in field recorders, whether wireless or even via a hard wired video output.

Waveform meters on recorders with big touch screens. A bit like X3 but more extensive. Eg. An option to display all channels with an adjustable time frame. Maybe even a semi automatic way of mixing by touching a given waveform as or before it gets to the 'mix' head and therefor after it (the iso) has been recorded - I've probably not explained this well.

6 hours ago, resonate said:

I like the idea as far as separate track parameters for mix tracks (you can assign which are mix tracks, and have separate compression, eq, filters - hello Howard!) but VST - no thanks :) too many crashy plugins out there. 

Doesn't need to be VST, that was just an example, could be whatever, something new, or pre-approved by manufacturer, a new open standard, just not proprietary

For several years now I have been putting trx's in the pockets of construction workers working outside in the rain in Seattle, without a failure yet (knock on wood).  

I'm excited to see what Zaxcom has come up with for a backpack rig, this is something I have wanted for years, and other mixers I know have dreamed about before me.

I currently have a project that I would love to see a small, 16 fader, digital console with Dante inputs, no analog ins, and 6 analog outs, under 10 lbs.  Basically a monitor mixer, small and light with good sounding channel fx.  

I would also welcome a field recorder with short linear faders instead of rotary encoders, like the Cantar but more bag friendly (all controls on the face).

12 minutes ago, Wandering Ear said:

I currently have a project that I would love to see a small, 16 fader, digital console with Dante inputs, no analog ins, and 6 analog outs, under 10 lbs.  Basically a monitor mixer, small and light with good sounding channel fx.

I've been dreaming about this for a while now. Don't forget DC power input (instead of AC). I wouldn't mind a few analog inputs though.

2 minutes ago, Jose Frias said:

I've been dreaming about this for a while now. Don't forget DC power input (instead of AC). I wouldn't mind a few analog inputs though.

Yes, forgot to mention DC power.  Right now I'm hauling around an 01v as a monitor mixer, and it's way more than needed.  I could see a couple analog ins, would need a slate / talkback mic too.  For my use the analog inputs are done elsewhere, I just want it small and light.

Just now, Wandering Ear said:

Yes, forgot to mention DC power.  Right now I'm hauling around an 01v as a monitor mixer, and it's way more than needed.  I could see a couple analog ins, would need a slate / talkback mic too.  For my use the analog inputs are done elsewhere, I just want it small and light.

Same here, really. I just can't help but think that I may need to have at least one or two analog inputs, just in case.... :/

3 minutes ago, Jose Frias said:

Same here, really. I just can't help but think that I may need to have at least one or two analog inputs, just in case.... :/

That would be smart, and the mixer would be more versatile that way.

If I found this though, I would then just be wishing my wireless receivers had Dante outputs too.

Just now, Shastapete said:

We already know they had plans to have a digital mixer only option with the Deva 32. They've since scrapped the Deva 32 for a Deva 24 recorder, but in the Gotham NAB 2016 teaser there is something mixer like sitting on the table.

Screen Shot 2016-04-16 at 1.21.21 PM.png

It's the mixer panel for the Deva 24.