Final Year Project/Dissertation in Audio Post Production

hjones95

Dear all,

Currently, I am a student studying Sound Engineering, and have a thorough interest in audio post production for film and television. At university I run a post production student group and am actively involved in the film scene inside of the university. 

My final year is fast approaching, and I am attempting to start planning out my dissertation for my final year. The contents of the dissertation is a write up of a few thousand words, and a physical product (bearing in mind this could be a piece of film, schematics, or even a fully blown speaker design).

I have some initial ideas (The Importance of Linearity in Cinema Audio Systems, The Future of Cinema Audio), but I am concerned these are slightly too specific.

I am interested to hear any ideas the JW community may be able to contribute - perhaps you did a degree and a final year project too? Anyway, I appreciate your time and thank you in advance!

Hi and welcome,

Best thing I can recommend for you is to write about something that truly interests you. The two topics you mention are in my opinion not specific enough. In fact, I think they are quite ambiguous. The more specific you can get into a topic, the more you will be able to write about it.

Before I dropped out of grad school (Music Technology Tonmeister program), my Master's thesis was going to be on modern video and audio sync workflows.

20 hours ago, Jose Frias said:

Best thing I can recommend for you is to write about something that truly interests you.

I found in school that my best papers / research came via things that I genuinely was curious about.  One top that popped up on set the other day was my boom op (who mixes on shoots too) was telling me how he was going to be on a shoot involving VR filming (which involves 3D spacial sound).  Other than using wireless mics and a camera mounted binaural mic, we both were wondering about what else could be done in this new field as it seems like people are starting to make interesting progress with it.  Might be an interesting, cutting edge topic? 

Im so curmudgeonly...I read the OP and thought, "Heres a new one, will you do my dissertation for me ?"

my bad, please forgive me.

As already stated, who wants to spend that much time, money, effort, stress, hot pockets, etc., on anything OTHER than what you yourself are passionate about. An advanced degree thesis or dissertation is a monumental undertaking, what will yours be about ?

work hard, boss

best

On second thought, do mine for me: an investigation into the efficacy of subsonic sound in Gaspar Noe's "Irreversible".

• 3 years later...

Danish, which clips that you've done -- even on your own, for fun -- are you proudest of?

You can still show them to clients with the caveat "this is my demo, not the real film".

If you don't have any you've done that you're proud of yet, you're not ready to show for someone else.

But...

Don't circulate them on the web. That can hurt your reputation in the long run. And it's infringement... if you ever strike it big, somebody's going to find your old demo and sue you. 

And re-do your demo as soon as you've got real projects. Even pro bono or tiny budget. Get rid of the fake ones, and replace them with something that faced real-world challenges.