NEW FROM ZAXCOM LIFESAVER

Tim M

Something new for you guys from Zaxcom in anticipation of NAB its awesome!!

"They concluded that carrying with a back pack required the least additional muscular effort of the methods investigated and that carrying a weight in front of the body required the most effort...front of the body should be avoided because it increases load on the back muscles..." -Introduction To Ergonomics- Bridger

I made that quote back in October on this board and Glenn Sanders took notice. I've been testing hardware and software in the field for several weeks, and let me tell you very impressive and ZERO pain or tension on my back in anyway period! Check out the video for a teaser I made.

So, a new "satellite" fader box that feeds a stock tablet or iPad, or is that a proprietary screen?   I've seen home made rigs that do similar things over the years, but this is is the first time I've seen a manufacturer weigh in.  Looking forward to hearing more about this, esp the ability to separate the two halves via wireless control (like leave the main unit on a cart etc).

Wonderful video! Thank you so much, Tim, for sharing this with us. I knew that Zaxcom was working on doing something like this and when I asked Glenn Sanders about the project he was so enthusiastic and so pleased with the result --- even though this whole effort was initiated by your request: "can we do something to help alleviate the back pain?" this innovative approach could be very useful for so many others.

Again, thank you for making the request, thanks to Zaxcom for actually coming through with something truly innovative, and thank you for the beautifully produced video!

Thanks everybody, and old school actually isn't that much the carbon fiber skeleton weighs only 3lbs with the straps waist band etc. without the bag, and the bag is very simple an RX12 and a Nomad, very few cables involved there either. It requires two batteries instead of one, but again on the back that is absolutely nothing. I actually feel weird going home after work everyday and feeling nothing in my back. My body almost has been expecting it. This may sound weird, but that first day using it and it working so well I was almost emotional a mixture of extreme happiness and hoping that it can change lives. It has been so sad on boards like these to see mixers come and go with whole gear packages going up simply because they no longer have the capacity to hold the gear and they are in constant pain. I personally think these last twenty years of backbreaking reality we will all look back and not believe the barbarism involved and how we couldn't see how seemingly simple changes can greatly impact our lives for the better. Much like Paul O'Neill from Alcoa giving his speech on Safety changing the whole industry and the manufacturing sectors viewpoint on safety we can all hopefully accept and get our manufacturers to work in the right direction.

Honestly I teared up a bit while watching this.  As a Zaxcom user and a long time Back Pain Sufferer, this has the potential to be a huge development. I actually picked up one of those Paxis backpacks last month, and have been trying to plan how to build my existing kit into it, but ultimately it seemed that without remote monitoring of the wireless it would be too much of a compromise. This is VERY promising. 

E.

Howy and I were very happy to work with Tim on this project. We wanted to open up a new way to configure the sound bag and help people at the same time with the medical side of the problem. The Zaxcom serial Hub was the key to putting all of this together. I made a custom mount that holds the tablet and the FP8 at the same time. It can be seen in the video Tim posted. The idea is that all Nomad and RX12 functions are accessed with the Tablet. There is no need to access the gear in the bag until the job is over.  The Tablet allows us to send MP3 files through WiFi. At Nab we will have much more on this Nomad touch based configuration. This is about 2% of the new things we will present at NAB. T-6 days and counting.

Glenn

This is great for sure. I hope Zax can partner with some of the existing bag/harness manufacturers to make something that really works and looks good. Seems like with Zax handling what they do best (hardware/software) and Orca, Kortwitch, K-Tek handling what they do best would get us the best result. Also, I'm curious about the Sharkfin sandwiched between the bag and the body. Did that actually work? Which also leeds to one potential problem. Now the rx antennas will potentially have two bodies between the tx signal, talent and mixer. Maybe a small mast from the backpack will work better than many of our attempts at mounting to a harness/bag.

If only there was a way to have a separate ERX feed where you can monitor the HP output, then you could leave your audio bag off to the side and just have an iPad, wireless boom and ERX on your person. 

If that was possible I'd totally switch to a zaxcom system!