Lithium batts on flight - new rules?

Jamesg

Hey apologies if this has already come up... but...

I'm heading off to South Africa from LA next week, and I can't make head or tail of the new rules for carrying lithium batts (I'm thinking specifically IDX NP-1's - less than 100MWh). It seems that nothing's changed (i.e. you can carry them in hand luggage) but if you look deeper it seems that *maybe* you can't! It's all to do with the definition of batteries as "UN 3480, PI 965, Section IA and IB" as far as I can see. SUPER confusing, although I am probably a bit slow...  Link to the new rules below:

http://www.iata.org/whatwedo/cargo/dgr/Documents/lithium-battery-update.pdf

and an insane flow chart that sort of defines what the definition means...

http://www.iata.org/whatwedo/cargo/dgr/Documents/lithium-battery-guidance-document-2016-en.pdf

so it looks to me like you CAN carry up to 5kg "with equipment"... I think...

Any thoughts? And again, sorry if this has already been covered and I didn't see it. James.

I flew from Geneva to Cape Town, then Johannesburg and then Kigali in January, took 2 73wh Np1's and one of the camera ops 98wh batts in hand luggage with no problems. Just tape the connectors and make sure you have batts under 100wh with you. 

Also took the same combo of batts to Cambodia in October with no problems  

I've been flying a lot recently too, but it seems the rules *may* have changed from April 1st. It's all a bit muddy, but it looks like they have just tightened up the regulations on batts in hold luggage even more. Spoke to IDX this afternoon and they seem to think it's still fine to take them in carry on, and I haven't heard any reports to the contrary!

They pointed me to a useful document for traveling with IDX NP-L7s batts - proves their compliance with airline rules...

http://1quqvr388yes3qdchk1vgjo2.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/MSDSUN-NP-L7S-201601.pdf

• 3 weeks later...
On 13/04/2016 at 7:14 AM, Johnny Karlsson said:

There was a thread on this recently.

Basically: Under 100Wh, Carry-on = unlimited. Put in individual sleeves / pouches (and tape over the terminals).

Check-in baggage = No.

Yes and if I may add:

Up to 2 per travelling person for 100wh to160wh (in cabin)

Nothing over 160wh

No LiPo

6 hours ago, Patrick Tresch said:

Yes and if I may add:

Up to 2 per travelling person for 100wh to160wh (in cabin)

Nothing over 160wh

No LiPo

This is only allowed subject to prior approval from airline and/or airport security (i.e. TSA). They reserve the right to deny allowance of anything above 100wh.

We were heavily delayed by a security supervisor who insisted we needed a letter of authorisation from the airline specifically that they would carry the lithium batteries ( in cabin ). This was started by the checking officers not being sure about the drone batteries, but it escalated to include my 96WHr sV-Lock batteries as well....... 

I will ask production office to hunt down a letter of authority from the airline we are using when they send me OS next, just in case..

The airlines war on batteries is certainly ramping up. The best place to check online current state of play in your country,  and where you are travelling to, is your national Civil Aviation Authority. Here in Australia it's CASA. From their website it's pretty clear: 

Batteries under 100Wh rating

• The batteries that power your phone, laptop and camera are usually under the 100 watt-hour (Wh) rating.
  • If you're carrying a spare battery that's not in one of these devices, it must be in your carry-on baggage only.
  • Spare batteries, regardless of their size are not to be carried in checked luggage.

Lithium Ion batteries 100-160Wh rating

• These are more powerful batteries, and can be found in industrial equipment such as power tools and mobility aids between 100 and 160Wh.
  • You must have approval from your airline before flying.
  • If the battery is installed in a device, it can be carried in either checked or carry-on baggage.
  • If the battery is a spare - that is, the battery is by itself and not contained in equipment - it must be in your carry-on baggage only.
  • Spare batteries, regardless of their size are not to be carried in checked luggage.
  • There is a limit of two spare batteries per person. These batteries must only be packed in carry-on luggage and should have their terminals individually protected to minimise the risk of contact other metal objects in your luggage.

I would think most of our batteries would be less than 100Wh so it's a matter of taping the contacts and taking them as carry on. This unfortunately includes 9v rechargeables to so they have to go as hand luggage as well. 

CASA has a handy pdf of their what can fly and hazardous items brochure. I usually have a copy with me to show check in staff if needed. 

Also worth remembering that apart from CASA it's at the airlines discretion as to what can and can't travel on a particular flight. Best charming behaviour is always handy when checking in (and elsewhere)  at the airport.