Izen Ears

On April 13, 2016 at 11:52 PM, Johnny Karlsson said:

I'm sorry to be a downer, but when they state things like "30% greater volume, and double the audio fidelity of a typical LP sold today" I tune out.

(Don't forget to send in your speaker cables for calibration!)

Why?  I have seen many records that were louder when the grooves were deeper.  The Cure's Disintegration is a quiet record with an hour of music crammed in there, versus a 6 minute, 45rpm 12" which is at least 30% louder.

I am with you about not patently believing in wild manufacturer claims, but why be dismissive without actually seeing it?

Dan Izen

7 hours ago, Izen Ears said:

Why?  I have seen many records that were louder when the grooves were deeper.  The Cure's Disintegration is a quiet record with an hour of music crammed in there, versus a 6 minute, 45rpm 12" which is at least 30% louder.

I am with you about not patently believing in wild manufacturer claims, but why be dismissive without actually seeing it?

Dan Izen

Well, as everything else, this is subjective, but:

A> The so called "loudness wars" seem to have proven that louder is not always better. I personally believe the reason people like the sound of vinyl better than digital, is that the medium itself dictates limitations, that for example means, that the music can't be overly compressed, and therefore the final master keeps more of the natural dynamics, which (I believe) sounds more pleasing and less fatiguing on the ears. If you want to listen to something at a louder volume - simply turn it up.

B> How exactly do they define, or measure "double the audio fidelity" of anything? Will AC/DC's "Highway To Hell" sound twice as good as it used to? Will I be able to hear what brand of sneakers they were wearing while they were recording?

On April 17, 2016 at 10:56 PM, Johnny Karlsson said:

Well, as everything else, this is subjective, but:

A> The so called "loudness wars" seem to have proven that louder is not always better. I personally believe the reason people like the sound of vinyl better than digital, is that the medium itself dictates limitations, that for example means, that the music can't be overly compressed, and therefore the final master keeps more of the natural dynamics, which (I believe) sounds more pleasing and less fatiguing on the ears. If you want to listen to something at a louder volume - simply turn it up.

B> How exactly do they define, or measure "double the audio fidelity" of anything? Will AC/DC's "Highway To Hell" sound twice as good as it used to? Will I be able to hear what brand of sneakers they were wearing while they were recording?

"Turn it up" on a quiet record also turns up the vinyl noise, the pops, and the clicks.  So louder records have significantly less noise.  (Well, less "bad" noise, we love the noise that makes vinyl so warm.)

I guess I'm guilty of being excited about new vinyl technology, since there hasn't been any in 100 years!  This tech will probably vanish in five seconds, but it's fun to think about.

Dan Izen

Not to mention the possibility of the return to some more, cool, run-out area inscriptions, next to the matrix numbers? (e.g. "Is it 6 O'clock yet? " or "V.O.L. is five piece live" "Where do you keep your stereo Jer?" "Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law" etc)

But, as a counter-point - IIRC? these 'inscriptions' have also been known to make it onto CD's?  - Where, they have some of the 'matrix numbers' mean something: "4UALKXXXX" an evolved derivation from the "We love you, ALK"  on U2's vinyl pressings of Rattle and Hum.

Heck yeah Mr. New Mexico (whoever you are)!  What about lock grooves, backwards grooves, hidden grooves, and my favorite - random grooves!  Like the old Mad Magazine flexi that you hadda tear out from the pages of the Annuals...

I seriously question the "backwards compatible" part.  If this is real it will take a few years to "catch on" and if that happens, a bunch more years for stuff to get reissued on this "HD vinyl" (which is a terrible, terrible, awful, horrible name").  They shoulda made up a whole new word for it, like "Supervinyl" or "Crazyvinyl, "Solid Grooves Vinyl," "Megavinyl," or basically anything but "HD vinyl."  HD has stopped being a buzzword since 2005!

22 hours ago, Izen Ears said:

Heck yeah Mr. New Mexico (whoever you are)! 

Dan, I do have my 'signature' turned 'on' - And, AFAIK, it appears on all of my posts - On the desktop version.

But, apparently, not on the 'mobile' version?

"Please, correct me if I'm wrong?"