RG405 coax cable vs. RG174

PaulLosada

Has anyone experienced differing performance results in their wireless setups using RG405 coax cable VS. RG174?

I'm currently using a PSC RF Multi SMA with a few Lectrosonics SRB receivers in my bag using the stiffer, thicker gauge RG405. But I wonder if I would be experiencing any better performance from my wireless using the RG174 coax that PSC sells and encourages for use with the Multi SMA. Both my cables and the ones PSC sells are rated at 50 ohm, but I can't find any more info regarding spec differences. Thanks! 

Hi Paul,

I am using RG174 in the bag with PSC rf multi  (zaxcom wireless). It's been working just fine for patch to receivers and very short run to my sna600 antennas. 

This isn't the one made by PSC (I made my own) I wouldn't use rg174 for any runs longer than a couple feet, fine for patch lengths.

Hope that helps.

Rg174 has 25 dB of loss per 100 ft; RG405 is 14 dB/100ft. However, that says the loss for RG1747 is 1/4 dB per foot. In a bag or any length up to 5 feet, the loss is negligible. For instance, at 5 feet, RG174 loss is 1.25 dB and for RG405 it is 0.75 dB. Both the difference in loss and the absolute loss are negligible. Given that RG174 is much easier to work with and cheaper, go for it in a bag.

Best Regards
Larry F

6 hours ago, Craig Parker said:

What type of cable would you recommend for a 10-15 foot 2.4Ghz rf feed. sma connector at one end is a limiting factor.

I'd use RG58 with bnc's and use a bnc to sma adapter. It's much easier to find bnc terminated cables and RG58. Get a pair of bnc to sma's and you are covered if you misplace one. Smaller cables will have too much loss at 2.4 GHz.

Best, lef

• 7 months later...

David or anyone else, not to hijack the thread but im not that good on jw. Can you tell me what the best flexible cable to use to make my own timecode cable for my breakaway. Not enough space in my neutrik so i tought i would make my own to cable tie to the breakaway. 35 feet from nomad to canera. Splits at camera tail and mixer tail

Thank you