Lucky 688 users (Dugan automix!)

Philip Perkins

Thats good news,

I have used the current auto mix on my 688 with GREAT success....  

I have known about Dan's system for years and had the pleasure of meeting him many years ago...  His system is :edit: really nice....  I am happy with the 688,  and now,  maybe more so.

Thank you SOUND DEVICES!!!  You made a nice product even better... 

9 hours ago, Wandering Ear said:

I saw this too, and it's pretty exciting, even though I don't own a 688, I am looking forward to testing this in comparison to what I have available now.

As far as I know everybody can implement dugan speech automixer on any recorder that has the power.

1 hour ago, RadoStefanov said:

As far as I know everybody can implement dugan speech automixer on any recorder that has the power.

That may be true, while I get acceptable results out of the automixer I currently have, I often won't send it to broadcast, just monitoring.   It seems unanimous that the Dugan is the top performer, so I look forward to the comparison, and possibly a 688 in my future. 

It has many patents.  I went to the "wake" Dan held for his original patents in '93, but he's been a busy inventor since then and still holds several patents in this field.  He figured out how to adapt his technology to working within other people's mixers, not a stretch since for years the "Dugan mixer" was really an outboard box that sat on the insert points of an analog console.  He figured out a digital version for Yamaha first, and kept his options open.  It wouldn't surprise me if the SD folks consulted with Dan to make sure the guts of the 688 would work with his technology, and now it does.

I believe that because the 664 is generally an analogue mixer it does not have the architecture to support auto mixing. I did however just watch a video of John giving a talk at Trew where he says that the 633 could be capable of Mix Assist though and that they were exploring it. Perhaps a NAB surprise? That would be awfully nice. 

4 minutes ago, Matthew Sonnenfeld said:

I believe that because the 664 is generally an analogue mixer it does not have the architecture to support auto mixing. I did however just watch a video of John giving a talk at Trew where he says that the 633 could be capable of Mix Assist though and that they were exploring it. Perhaps a NAB surprise? That would be awfully nice. 

The 633 is much like the 688 in that it is a digital-based mixer, which would explain the 633's potential capability to support Mix Assist.

31 minutes ago, Jose Frias said:

The 633 is much like the 688 in that it is a digital-based mixer, which would explain the 633's potential capability to support Mix Assist.

Exactly. But early after the release of the 688 there were pretty immediate calls for Mix Assist on the 633 and SD was pretty firm about it not happening. The video from Trew though was posted in February 2016 so very cool to see them responding to user feedback so strongly. 

Just now, Matthew Sonnenfeld said:

Exactly. But early after the release of the 688 there were pretty immediate calls for Mix Assist on the 633 and SD was pretty firm about it not happening. The video from Trew though was posted in February 2016 so very cool to see them responding to user feedback so strongly. 

Word.

Mix assist and/or the dugan mixer on the 633 would be totally awesome, I would go as far to say I would pay extra to have this feature, weather this involved a change to the hardware or just some compensation for SD's projected loss in 688 sales - small is beautiful, even more so with this feature.