Mozegear at NAB - What’s NEW

Please come by and see us at NAB.  Our stand is C8949 which is just one row over from last year.  We are going to be showing our new line of products including our newest product, the 2XG, which stands for 2 channel extra gain. It is a 2 channel Gain Booster that is designed to be used with wireless receivers and the line level inputs on your mixer. 

The 2XG will be shipping after NAB. The price is $399.

Our second new product, the PIP, is a very small phantom power module.  It will start shipping in about 7 weeks.  

Our last product, the Mini Papi,  is a mini pre-amp with phantom power that for any use since it so small.  

You can read more about the 2XG, PIP, and Mini Papi at www.mozegear.com.  

Most importantly, please come visit us at NAB!!!

1 hour ago, Derek H said:

Is the mini papi external DC only or does it also have AA slots?

Hi Laurie, I think both the 2XG and the Mini Papi would / could benefit considerably from some option to power from a battery as well as external power feed ... for boompole use, remote plants, anything outside of a bag with battery setup or the (newer only) recorders having power-out facilities. So ... any chance to consider a new product add-on ... a 'consumer' battery (2 x 9v batteries? 8xAA?) to dc hirose out box?

Aside from that, two nice looking gadgets for 633/744 etc users, and I'm especially pleased you bothered to include 12v T power (even as a get-out-of-trouble option for many) in such a small unit.

Jez

Hi Guys,

Well I just got back to the hotel room where there is a decently working internet so I'm just catching up

It was great seeing so many of you today.  I love this time of year where I get to talk with all  of you and I'm looking forward to ramps tomorrow night where I can see so many more.  For those who haven't come by, please don't miss us.  We are along the back wall in the central hall.

Derek,

The mini papi is externally powered only.  We wanted something small that can be used in many situations (including on cameras).  It can also be powered through the micro USB on the top.  This way you can power it from something that can be purchased anywhere and is rechargeable.  You don't actually have to power it from an IDX or similar system.

Since many boom op's use a small bag on their waist, the alternative powering through the micro USB can be used and batteries don't have to be changed during the day.  

Bab,  

The 2XG is a 2 channel gain booster. It has 28db of gain whereas the Mini Papi is a full pre-amp with a bass cut, limiter, and phantom power. The 2XG is very small and designed to give control and more gain to 1.) menu driven line level channels  2.) busses  3.) line level inputs on mixers and recorders.

Hi Jez,

The 2XG is primarily designed for a bag.  We felt that adding to the size, weight, and cost would not really be an advantage for most users of this product.

However the Mini Papi does have a micro USB powering option (as stated above).  Again we were trying to keep down the size, weight and cost for those who don't really need the internally powering.   We agree that some users will prefer something internally powered, so we will be looking at a unit that can be internally powered down the road.  

3 hours ago, Laurie Webb said:

The mini papi is externally powered only.  We wanted something small that can be used in many situations (including on cameras).  It can also be powered through the micro USB on the top.  This way you can power it from something that can be purchased anywhere and is rechargeable.  You don't actually have to power it from an IDX or similar system.

Since many boom op's use a small bag on their waist, the alternative powering through the micro USB can be used and batteries don't have to be changed during the day.  

i understand size concerns, but i'd also be worried about using micro-USB as only power in the field - one knock at the cable and you could have drop outs, 100 knock and you might have a broken connector.

a 15minute buffer battery might be a solution for the first concern, although i'm not sure how to warn about an empty buffer early enough, and the added circuits might make things bigger and more expensive.

great product otherwise though, and i'm sure a lot of people will make good use of it!

chris

On April 19, 2016 at 1:33 AM, chrismedr said:

i understand size concerns, but i'd also be worried about using micro-USB as only power in the field - one knock at the cable and you could have drop outs, 100 knock and you might have a broken connector.

a 15minute buffer battery might be a solution for the first concern, although i'm not sure how to warn about an empty buffer early enough, and the added circuits might make things bigger and more expensive.

great product otherwise though, and i'm sure a lot of people will make good use of it!

chris

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the interest.  

There are actually 2 powering connectors.  The first and primary connector is the hirose.  The micro USB is actually an alternative powering connector.  Since the industry has been changing, we have found that virtually all bags and cameras have some powering solution.  Even most boom op's in the US have a smaller bag. For this reason we reevaluated internal batteries since they had weight, size, and cost to many  who have other powering solutions already in place.

That being said, traditionally powering solutions are very expensive and often very heavy so we wanted to give an alternative way to power and that is where the micro USB comes in.  You can literally attach a USB power supply that is the size of a credit card to the unit and put it in a small bag for the boom op, a plant mic situation, or even on the boom. You can also connect a USB power supply via the more durable hirose connector and avoid the weight and cost of larger powering solutions. To make it more flexible  both the micro USB and hirose connector at the same time.  So there are a lot of powering opportunities with the Mini Papi.

I hope this answers your questions.  Overall we feel the Mini Papi is a good alternative to larger phantom power pre amps that have restricted use due to their size. 

Thanks for your comments and suggestions.  We actually appreciate them and listen.

21 hours ago, BAB414 said:

Thanks Laurie for the thoughtful responses.m

What I'm basically looking for is two mic preamps that output at line level and can be powered by DC externally. Can any of these items do one or two channels of that?

The 2XG will provide up to 28dB of extra gain.  The Mini Papi has 80 dB with a range of 20dB to 80dB.  It also has a limiter and basscut and supplies phantom power.  Neither unit has internally powering although the Mini Papi has alternative powering via a micro USB connector.

May I ask how you were planning on using it which will help me in explaining the products for your applications?

I'm making a box to remote my antennas and receivers 150-300 feet from my cart, but would also like to be able to hard-line two mics into said box, phantom power them, and then send them out line level on Cat5. The box will be powered by NP-1s and distroed via Remote Audio BDSv4u. I could have a mixpre or two MM1s, but those are too bulky, costly, and overkill for what I'm doing. I don't need to be able to adjust the gains on the fly, just set and forget. Two mini Papis might be the way to go. I assume they do in fact do line level out? Would love to hear your thoughts.

• 2 weeks later...