New Here... hope to learn a lot.. and a question about high end wireless mics

65fordguy

Whichever system you buy, be aware that any systems can have dropouts or interference at any time, no matter how carefully you plan it. Using one of the higher end systems surely helps, but you should also think about rf distribution (so you can use the same receivers with sharkfin or other antennas), rf filtering and an rf scanner, in addition to the above mentioned app.

Re those Senn wireless, all those "hundred" series units are more or less the same under the hood, the higher numbers have more features is all.  The Senn 2000 and up are very good wireless but pretty expensive in the USA.  If you are after "kit" style wireless (i.e. porto DC powered RX) most USA video soundies are on Lectro or Zax anymore, at least for the "money" channels.   More important than which model etc you get is to decide on which freq blocks will be the most trouble free for the area you are working in.  The Shure, Sennheiser and Lectro sites have good info to help figure that out, and you may know of apps like Freq Finder and IAS which can be very helpful too.

Just called Trew Audio in Nashville. They seemed to be one of the closer dealers mentioned.. He didn't really have  a lot to offer information wise.. but said he would look into getting us a demo of Zaxcom and Lectrosonics. I will probably call around and feel out a couple other shops to see what they have to offer. 

Just now, codyman said:

Trew here in Los Angeles is great.  Every time I have expressed interest in a product, they always are very helpful and have offered me demo units.

I think he just didnt' have a full staff.. NAB going on and all.. he mentioned several out.. He said he will get back with me monday. 

Look what I found in a random file cabinet while looking for some DVDs of an old program.. HA! who knows how old this thing is.. I've been here 10 years and I didn't know it was here! Looks new. 

20160422_092837.jpg

20160422_094014_001.jpg

> I think he just didnt' have a full staff.. NAB going on and all.

That may explain it. I've had good experiences with Trew (and several of the other location-audio dealers mentioned in this thread).

That 635 right there will outlive us all. :-) So if you end up using a current Lectro receiver, you can set the receiver to work with that older 100-series stick transmitters. Might not be the optimal solution (if you'll also be working with more modern transmitters and don't want to keep switching around), but not the worst thing in the world.

1 hour ago, 65fordguy said:

I think he just didnt' have a full staff.. NAB going on and all.. he mentioned several out.. He said he will get back with me monday. 

Look what I found in a random file cabinet while looking for some DVDs of an old program.. HA! who knows how old this thing is.. I've been here 10 years and I didn't know it was here! Looks new. 

20160422_092837.jpg

20160422_094014_001.jpg

Well that's a throwback... Funny thing is though, a mint kit like that still would have a surprising amount of value on the used market!

On April 21, 2016 at 7:22 AM, 65fordguy said:

I was looking around here and see folks seem to like the Audio LTD .. I have 0 experience with that brand.. it is just something I have heard about. Would be curious to hear some first hand knowledge of these devices. 

I have had pretty good luck with Audio Ltd.

The RK6 with freq scan is quite nice.

• 2 weeks later...

I recommend the Lectro L series as well. since you seem to work with several different operators (possibly not always dedicated audio folks?) the ease of use speak in favor of Lectro (as well as Audio Ltd) as opposed to Zaxcom, which offer killer features (extreme range, digital transmission, recording feature in the transmitters etc) to the trained sound mixer that in your case might not be really needed. 

Maybe look at the SRc receiver by Lectro as that should offer the best results of the Lectro brand re drop outs.