New MRE Timecode Generator Slate & NAB Special

George Tsai

New timecode slate preorder is now up on our site http://fuzeti.com/mre-timecode-generator-slate.html for $600 and will retail at $699.99 once we start shipping. We expect to begin shipping July 5th. This slate shares the same code as the FDC Slate and the same temperature compensated clock. 5-Pin Lemo and 1/4" TRS Input/Output comes as standard and BNC connectors are available as an additional option. 

The case is ABS injection molded plastic with four screw mount points on the front for optional large slate panels. 8.75"W x 5.75"H x 1.75"D. Standard 5-Pin Lemo and 1/4" TRS Input/Output and runs on 4 AA batteries or external 5-16V DC power. There are easy to set buttons on the back side allows you to configure timecode, user bits, and framerate as well as easy to adjust display brightness knob located on the side.

We are also offering a NAB special promo code 'nab2016' (valid until 4/30) for an additional 10% off site wide bringing this pre-order down to $540!  Due to server outage the discount code will be extended for an extra day through May 1st.

IMG_0303w.jpg

IMG_0310w.jpg

IMG_0369w.jpg

IMG_0341w.jpg

IMG_0388w.jpg

IMG_0416s.jpg

IMG_0423s.jpg

I do love the compact design, the amount of time it takes ACs to find the right position for common slating can be somewhat comical at times if the slate is full size.  That being said, the one thing this device seems to be lacking is a lip on the back to hold and slate one handed.  As is, it looks like it might be awkward to hold.  And with the menus buttons seemingly in the open, is there much chance of someone accidentally changing settings?  How strong is the ABS plastic molding?  100% of slates get dropped on concrete, will this hold up to a 3-4ft straight drop?

Thanks!

2 hours ago, Jesse Flaitz said:

That being said, the one thing this device seems to be lacking is a lip on the back to hold and slate one handed.  As is, it looks like it might be awkward to hold.  And with the menus buttons seemingly in the open, is there much chance of someone accidentally changing settings?  How strong is the ABS plastic molding?  100% of slates get dropped on concrete, will this hold up to a 3-4ft straight drop?

Thanks!

No lip on the backside because, well cost hehe. I can slate it with one hand only tho just barely. The navigation switch is disabled while the slate is running so there is no way to change settings and the start button will turn the display back on with the last slated time while the slate is closed.

I have not done any actual drop tests yet since very few prototypes were made. The slate will survive some drops, it is ABS plastic after all and will crack and eventually break pieces off if dropped once too many times or too hard. The electronics itself will probably survive tho hehe.

58 minutes ago, piman said:

I have not done any actual drop tests yet since very few prototypes were made. The slate will survive some drops, it is ABS plastic after all and will crack and eventually break pieces off if dropped once too many times or too hard. The electronics itself will probably survive tho hehe.

I like the size and price but it needs to survive being dropped all the time or it is a no go for me IMHO 

3 hours ago, ProSound said:

...it needs to survive being dropped all the time or it is a no go for me IMHO 

"These are not the droids you are looking for..." :-)

Such is the nature of using ABS plastic to produce an economic slate. For a much tougher slate the 3D Printed Compact Bundle has a steel panel that protects the plastic enclosure very well:-)

4 hours ago, Philip Perkins said:

Long term TC accuracy?

Less than 1 frame drift over 24 hour period.

I think what would help sell this product are support products. Most of us buy an item, and all its accessories in one sweep. Finding at the very least a rubber bumper case and self-installable lip (maybe a drawer handle from Home Depot?) to package with these would help sell them, since those seem to be the primary concerns that people have. I'd love adding this to my kit, but those are the things I'd want in a package deal, so I wouldn't have to go out and source them myself. 

Just a thought. 

On 4/21/2016 at 0:12 PM, Gerard-NYNY said:

perhaps all tc slates should be fitted with a lanyard of some sort that goes over the head/around the shoulder if people continually drop these as often as is indicated in tc slate threads.

This comes to mind:

12509674_688983123142_3239506319624368312_n.jpg

33 minutes ago, Jose Frias said:

This comes to mind:

12509674_688983123142_3239506319624368312_n.jpg

Ha!

I like the size and look of this slate a lot.  I'm sure AC's would appreciate it too.

Like other have expressed, a lip to enable 1 handed slating is important, and so is the physical durability of the case.  I would think an aluminum case would be preferred, or a less brittle plastic like HDPE.

3 hours ago, r.paterson said:

If the slate crystal needs tuned how does this happen if not us based..Thanks..Richard

Currently re-calibration is only completed here in San Diego so you would have to ship the slate back. All crystals and oscillators will drift from it's original frequency over time, only exception would be chip scaled atomic clocks. I'd recommend re-calibration every ten years or so but not required.

3 hours ago, Mobilemike said:

These say that they are "backordered" online - is that just because they aren't shipping until July, or is the first run sold out at the moment?

Thanks!

-M

It's all in the same production run, the backorder status is just a notice it's not shipping until July:-) Sorry about the confusion, couldn't figure out how to differentiate between backorders and preorders from the backend:-P