Boom mic

japz

Ive been using senn me66 mic with the outdoor shoot and specially for a motor racing event like quick interviews in the pit and at some point i still get too much background sound from the cars and it covers a lot in rear of the mic? Any suggestion what specific mic is good for outdoor 

For interviews can you not use a handheld mic, and shove it right in their faces? A handheld mic with a cardioid pattern, with the null pointing at the noise, might work ok. But if you look at rhe various racing shows on TV, you'll realize soon that there is no getting rid of the noise

54 minutes ago, Reg said:

Quick interviews in the pit/motor racing/loud engines everywhere? Go for a dynamic like EV RE50 (if framing allows)

Sorry to be pedantic, the re50 (or similar) will be in frame (unless the shot has no lip sync). The issue seems to be the expectations of OP or production. Ie. Why would a producer/director not allow a mic in shot - if it's their first time in a pit lane did they not watch how others do it?

1 hour ago, Constantin said:

For interviews can you not use a handheld mic, and shove it right in their faces? A handheld mic with a cardioid pattern, with the null pointing at the noise, might work ok. But if you look at rhe various racing shows on TV, you'll realize soon that there is no getting rid of the noise

There is "no getting rid of the noise" but the right choice and usage of mic will make enough difference to get usable sound for the edit and the wrong choice and/or usage wont.

I work on a world championship motorsport series, I use a boom for most interviews (for expediency) but we pause when vehicles go past.  If the overall noise is still high, I'll switch to a lapel mic.  If it's still no good, we do the interview at another time.  The only other option is to either do the interview away from the noise, or do it with a handheld microphone on their chin.  That's acoustics for you.