Beyerdynamic Limiter Headphones

Matthew Sonnenfeld

Anyone have experience? They lower SPL above 99db without a weighting limiter so frequency response should be about the same, just limited. 

http://europe.beyerdynamic.com/shop/media/infomaterial/SPOTONTECHNOLOGY_LIMITER_IBC09_E.pdf

Looking at this headset. Based on DT 770 Pro 250's which I have used for a couple of years now and love. Available in versions with and without a limiter:

http://north-america.beyerdynamic.com/shop/dt-797-ltd.html

Yes, I have a set. I didn't Ohm-match them to my recorder, so they are too quiet. Turning up the volume will cause the limiter to engage, so I can't comment too much on the sound quality, however I can say that when the limiter does engage it sounds just horrible, all distorted. But it won't kill your ears. And at least you'll know when the limiter engages. They are comfortable to wear, though

Thanks for the info Constantin! You're having trouble driving them on a 788T? I've had no issues with driving 250Ω on 633 or 688. Good to know about how the limiter sounds though. If it's distracting, which it sounds like it is, then that's not good at all. Was hoping it wouldn't be notably distorted.

It's the headphones limiting. I compared it with my 302, and there too, it sounds distorted even before there is any clipping indicated. Compared this also with my HD-25s which are 70 ohm. On the 302 Everything (input, mixer and headphones) showed occasional clipping (or overload), but it still sounded fine on the HD-25's but bad on the Beyerdynamics.

So the 250Ohms version is not helping. The 788T may be a bit too weak for this, but it's definitely the headphones which are clipping/limiting. I'd guess it's the passiveness of the limiter that causes these sounds.

Anyway, the problem is that the distortion sound so similar to a mic clipping or an analog overload sonewhere else in your chain and it makes tracking that down that much harder